WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Seeking clarification on Persistent home and opt from wiki  (Read 2888 times)

Offline 3rail

I was reading:

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:backup_or_persistent_home_and_opt?s=backup#hard_drives
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:backup#when_using_persistent_home_and_opt

and I'd like to know what the practical effect of setting the bootcode "norestore" actually has when using a persistent store (eg hard drive)? Additionally, where is the config to change the default setting of "backup" to "none" when shutting down tc?

TIA

Offline Guy

Re: Seeking clarification on Persistent home and opt from wiki
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 12:25:01 PM »
I'd like to know what the practical effect of setting the bootcode "norestore" actually has when using a persistent store (eg hard drive)? Additionally, where is the config to change the default setting of "backup" to "none" when shutting down tc?

norestore results in:

1. backup not being restored during start up

2. changing the default setting of "backup" to "none" when shutting down (you can still select backup).

If you are not using backup, you need persistent home and opt, if you want to save files and settings.

If you have persistent home and opt, and also use backup, you are saving 2 copies of everything.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:29:55 PM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:53:16 PM »
If you have persistent home and opt, you still may have to run backup to save other config files.
You will have to edit /opt/.filetool.lst and remove all lines starting with 'home' or 'opt'.

Offline 3rail

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 05:41:23 PM »
Very good info, thanks. What about using norestore with other directories in .filetool.lst, like var?

edit: nevermind, I answered my own question: make an extension out of the custom config files
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:02:14 PM by 3rail »