WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_v3.7rc1  (Read 20793 times)

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
Re: tinycore_v3.7rc1
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 09:03:12 PM »
With Tiny Core installed on ntfs, I am concerned about children, and even adults, using Tiny Core and destroying Windows.
Yes, and your point is...?  ;D

Seriously, what is the difference. Some kid can destroy Windows from within Windows. Happens daily. It is silly to set limits for all sorts of imagined scenarios.

Offline Guy

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 02:02:25 AM »
With Tiny Core installed on ntfs, I am concerned about children, and even adults, using Tiny Core and destroying Windows.

Yes, and your point is...?  Grin

Seriously, what is the difference. Some kid can destroy Windows from within Windows. Happens daily. It is silly to set limits for all sorts of imagined scenarios.

With the more recent versions of Windows, children would need to be logged in as administrator to destroy it. With Tiny Core they don't.

Inexperienced adults, and adults who make mistakes, may even do damage.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:26:01 AM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline Guy

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 02:17:06 AM »
If you go with grub4dos, I would like the extlinux installer to still be available.

You could have the extlinux installer available as an extension.

Now that you have suggested that you may go with grub4dos and make ntfs an option, some people will be disappointed if you don't.

The motto has always been, Tiny Core is about choices, this is in line with having more choices.

Offline Guy

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 02:24:00 AM »
To minutely reduce the risk of children destroying Windows, I suggest making the App Browser, Apps Audit, and the Control Panel, only available from the menu, not the wbar.

Offline newbody

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 04:45:38 AM »
I have spent some time looking at grub4dos and I am able to have an install program create a no-partition NTFS Tiny Core & Windows system without remastering. Now I must decide on how I am going to proceed for v3.7rc2  :-\

Do what you think is good for TCL and your community.

It is hubris of me to have any demands on Devs of Linux distros.
It shows how utterly naive I am. But it would be cool to be able to
use official TCL in the same way I now try to use the Remix that SvOlli made.

I wrote this on another forum

I chose this time to test TinyCore Linux newest iso that has ntfs-3G on it.

Typically I totally failed on root permissions. They suggest one do sudo editor or sudo leafpad if one have that one installed which I had not.

But the ntfs hdd is read only so even if I edited I am not allowed to save the edit.

So I need to learn change mod and such change owner and other advanced cli code.

Maybe there are newbies that are good at learning that can do such.
I am comptuer challenged so I have tried this since Ms-DOS 3.3 and failed. 1986 to now that is many years of total failure using cli.

But congratulations to RobertS on TinyCore for allowing us to boot TCL on NTSF that is a promising change of attitude.

and this

I spent some 12 hour for to get it to use a Swedish keyboard. Total defeat had to use the one from Finland which luckily for me have two languages so them care about our crazy åäö chars. We have Euro sign too but then one need to use the Alt + Gray key but that one seems to only work in xorg and I am still in Vesa. So no Euro for me Smile

But I am writing this from a booted TinyCore now but not the official one but a remix made by SvOlli in Germany. He was kind enough to get me up to speed us chatting using PM so it has a kind of persistence now and remember very much of what I do

end of quote

So if one could do on official TCL what I now can do on the remix that would be super cool.

Whatever you decide on for TCL you are the Boss over such things. I am just a naive user having selfish wishes.
Acer D250, Snow Puppy, TinyCore and on HP SR5622, Snow Puppy,

Offline caminati

• Homepage
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 04:53:19 AM »
I am strongly in favour of Grub4dos: in fact I have ever used it since I discovered it, even to boot tinycore (and slax, and any other distro I used).

It has a number of nice features, for example it is very easy to `install' and to be non-invasively deployed along with a pre-existing windows (see g4d readme).

It should be considered that it seems unmaintained lately, however.
On the other hand, it looks like a very mature product, and I know of no serious bugs.

I am completely unaware if either it or syslinux are portable to other architectures, and here I am thinking about ARM, which seems a very promising road to go for nowadays.

This should be an important factor for deciding, imo.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 06:25:21 AM »
ARM systems usually use U-boot, or a vendor-specific hack.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 05:48:08 PM »
I have completed a new installation GUI that will setup Tiny Core using grub4dos
 and supports NTFS embedded installations, i.e., no re-partitioning required for Windows XP (NTFS) systems.

After completing this and considering user feedback and internal discussions, this is the game plan.
1. tc-install will be removed from the base and placed into the install-tools.gz starter pack. Use
    this for syslinux/extlinux installations and the custom pendrive USB-ZIP and USB-HDD
2. A new starter pack for grub4dos NTFS installations, as described above, will be available for use
   with v3.7rc2 and above.
3. We are staying with isolinux for our .iso images.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 05:50:59 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 06:05:57 PM »
2. Using back arrow also means you must reselect the partition, once done Mark Active should be enabled.

It is not

Fixed! Thanks for reporting.

This fix is now in the starter pack install-tool.gz. Reposted.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/3.x/starterpacks/

Offline newbody

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 06:21:04 AM »
Thanks RobertS
I am looking forward to test tinycore_v3.7rc2 when you have it uploaded then.

Embarrassingly for me is that I still fail to get if you plan to describe how a newbie can activate that it allow him to write to the NTFS which I manage to do using SvOlli's remix. I need to click on the Edit and being Root or Superuser if that is the right word for it.

But it was easy to use but I prefer to use the official tinycore_v3.7rc2 if that one can write as the Remix allow it to.

I am talking about this:

title TinyCore 3.7rc1 or TinyCore 3.7rc2
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /tclboot/boot/bzImage
kernel /tclboot/boot/bzImage vga=792
initrd /tclboot/boot/tinycore.gz

using this in menu.lst on grub4dos booting on NTFS formatted internal hdd.
ps the reason it looks like this /tclboot/boot/ is due to the need to not mess up the official with the remix.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2011, 02:23:50 PM »
Don't expect Tiny Core to change names of official files or directories to accommodate any remixes.
The starter pack is fully automated and results in a working read/write tce directory based on ntfs-3g extension.  
I have released 3.7rc2 and this starter pack for team preview mode. So should be soon for public rc.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:36:36 PM by roberts »

Offline newbody

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »
Robert, I can assure you I had no such intentions at all.

You wrote
Don't expect Tiny Core to change names of official files or directories to accommodate any remixes.
End of quote.

You make me very happy if it works in same way regardless of how that is accomplished.
I apology if my home brewed English made my text imply something me had not intention to ask for.

Regards

Newbody.
PS late at night here locally so I turn to the dreamy side of life now and looking forward to the RC2 whenever it is ready for a download by all of us. Much appreciated that it can use NTFS even in frugal install on or in same partition that it boots up from.

A friend of TCL wrote me a PM explaining this part

"The starter pack is fully automated and results in a working read/write tce directory based on ntfs-3g extension. "

I guess me have to read up on what a Starter package is. Is that already included in the wiki or FAQ or is that something newly introduced in the 3.7 and not a part of 3.5 which I am a bit familiar with?

I always do things manually and if the Starter do things automatically that does not work for me because I already have grub4dos installed and don't want a new version replacing the old one.

So not sure what this means at all. Ooops have found the text now.

Announcing Special Extension Starter Packs
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=9585.0

Not easy to understand that text for a newbie I will read it many times though and try to figure it out.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:53:39 PM by newbody »