WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: software wanted: vmware player and/or virtualbox  (Read 40294 times)

Offline dWLkR

software wanted: vmware player and/or virtualbox
« on: March 31, 2009, 02:04:19 AM »
hi!

first off: TCL: great OS!

second: it would be nice if vmwar player and/or virtualbox could be installed on TCL because TCL could be some kind of baremetal kickoff-plattform for VMs...

thank you in advance!

Offline dWLkR

Re: software wanted: vmware player and/or virtualbox
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 03:34:28 AM »
*hmpf*

again an I call it: "no-reply-to-my-extremly-intelligent-and-interessting-topics"-forum - short: nrmeii-forum... :<

so 2 scenarios would be possible:
(1) a user replies with "why don't u use <insert app name here> for virtualization?!" - my guess would be: qemu...

(2) no reply at all...

but hey... guys - i am a friend of an open communication - wouldn't it be totally f*ck*ng awesome - if we would have TCL + (i.e.) virtualbox? i mean... think of the nearless endless possibilities - maybe we would need some more drivers (especially [W]LAN, UMTS-modem stuff) - but then... OMG it would be so cool...

PLSSSSSSSSSSSSS can someone make it real?

tia! (really!)

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 03:51:17 AM »
(1) a user replies with "why don't u use <insert app name here> for virtualization?!" - my guess would be: qemu...

that's why i didn't say anything.

i thought about it... anyway i have nothing against people installing virtualbox (i almost linked to the gpl open source edition so they could make it an extension, you'll be able to guess why i didn't) or vmware or even microsoft virtual pc (there's no accounting for taste) but what i want right now is qemu (not virtualbox, not even virtualbox ose.)

i thought it would be pointless to ask people to compile virtualbox if they haven't compiled qemu, and i thought it would be trollish when i've already asked for qemu to say "no, don't compile virtualbox, qemu is better!" that's both your scenarios, (except the one where you insist.)

Offline dWLkR

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 04:40:17 AM »
hi tobiaus!

thank you for your reply!

what kind of performance do u expect - if i.e. winxp+sp3 is in a qemu-environment instead of a vbox-environment?! (expected replies: vbox should be 30% faster... or sth. like that!)

host-data:
- p4 2ghz
- 1gb ram

tia!

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 05:50:42 AM »
i could guess but it would be meaningless. the simplicity (this is a word that means lots of different things) and reliability are the reasons for my interest in qemu. i'd be very happy to see both qemu and virtualbox ose (i don't think standard virtualbox is something we can put up for download/redistribution, but we could create a download script like the ones for flash and skype) available as tce/tczs.

i couldn't tell you if virtualbox is better or how much, i'm sure it's a very nice piece of software, just like opera is. (that much i know, i've used opera.)

Offline dWLkR

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 01:58:12 AM »
thanks!

any other "community" member - who wants to say sth. concerning this? :P

Offline dWLkR

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:41:14 PM »
*bump*

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:36:03 AM »
*bump*

virtualbox ose would be a nice addition... as i probably mentioned earlier, the repository is usually for open source applications. virtualbox (the closed version) has some cool features, are you looking for those in particular or does ose suit your purposes? (note to fellow fanatics: at least they plan to integrate some of the existing features from the closed version in the future, so the open source edition isn't quite a smack in the face.)

Offline dWLkR

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 02:45:53 AM »
just do it guys!

vbox OSE 4 teh win!

plsssss! :>

Offline dWLkR

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 04:11:40 AM »
hello?  ???  :-\

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 12:23:24 PM »
it takes time sometimes. i've been waiting for pcmanfm for a long time. pcmanfm is the more lightweight, presumably easier to compile option i found while i was waiting for xfe. it's been at least a month or two. the nice thing about being a volunteer is, you get more say in what you do. the nice thing about getting a volunteer to work is you only have to ask...

but you can't actually "make them" do anything. also in the linux world, people sometimes expect you to do something yourself. i've never been able to compile anything but zile, so i (patiently? let's say patiently) wait for pcmanfm as long as it takes. i don't feel bad mentioning it again every month and a half or two, but unless more people want pcmanfm, i don't expect anyone to make anything just for me.

Offline dWLkR

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 12:49:02 AM »
hi!

after leaving the month may out of spamming this forum... i'd like to kindly ask (once again) if someone from TCL-staff or TCL-community is willingly to fulfill my dream?! :D

definition of my dream: vbox OSE and/or vmware player module for TCL :]

tia!

Offline samedirection

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 02:34:43 PM »
I don't have VB running inside TC, but I do have TC running inside VB under ubuntu, but without the Guest Additions

Do see this thread, however:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1761.0

It sounds like someone managed to get what you want working.

Offline linus72

• Damn it Jim!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 04:11:26 AM »
What about portable-qemu?
It's not vbox or vmware, but it is portable, plays multiple systems on windows or linux
from iso, virtualharddrive, etc
plays on any type partition, on usb, off cd, etc
portable-qemu(mine) has kvm for linux and is 3mb before making a vhd.

also, only thing needed to play portable-qemu is SDL.tce library, no need to install qemu to tinycore.
you can access your real hd/usb/cddrive and it all runs just like a real system.

just a thought :)

Offline dWLkR

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 02:01:54 AM »
(...)
Do see this thread, however:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1761.0

It sounds like someone managed to get what you want working.
thank you for pointing me to that thread! :)

What about portable-qemu?
It's not vbox or vmware, but it is portable, plays multiple systems on windows or linux
from iso, virtualharddrive, etc
plays on any type partition, on usb, off cd, etc
portable-qemu(mine) has kvm for linux and is 3mb before making a vhd.

also, only thing needed to play portable-qemu is SDL.tce library, no need to install qemu to tinycore.
you can access your real hd/usb/cddrive and it all runs just like a real system.

just a thought :)

hi! sounds interessting! but i don't know if i understood u correctly... is this a standalone OS?!