WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Automount USB rules.d Query  (Read 24367 times)

Offline MadCat

Re: Automount USB rules.d Query
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 06:08:43 AM »
After trying for a few days I have come to the conclusion its time for me to move onto another Distro. Tiny Core seems great but Ive already spent a few days just trying to get USB to Automount. Ive decided to move on and try Thin Station, and to my relief comes in @ 8MB ISO, USB Automounting and RDesktop which I am able to redirect USB Devices. And to my amazement I got it all working in under 10minutes... So no offense to Tiny Core, but if anybody else gets stuck trying to get a Thin Client going, there you go.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 06:10:34 AM by MadCat »

Offline alu

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 01:15:28 AM »
why not using hal and dbus (extensions in repos) instead with a backup, which should give you what you want within a minute?

Offline MadCat

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 07:09:18 AM »
why not using hal and dbus (extensions in repos) instead with a backup, which should give you what you want within a minute?

Doesant work on Tiny Core...

Offline alu

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 09:40:04 AM »
?? did you try them ? and did you do a backup for the extension and related files to be loaded on boot ? i must confess that i used them once on 2.x versions of TC and can not speak for 3.x, but they did work.

maybe a question/suggestion: every usb should be mounted as sda, sdb, sdc etc. did you try a script loaded on boot with a command like: sudo mount -a /dev/sd*

how many usb should you mount on boot? if it is always the same ones, you can customize it with a script loaded on boot. i think that microcore with such a (backed up) script should be not go beyond 8 MB.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 09:44:13 AM »
With udev you do not need to deal with device name. It is provided by udev as %k variable, see my demo script above. For testing you can write it to a file for example to see what happens inserting an usb. Also, use udevadm's monitor function to see what is going on.

It is a 5 minutes lesson.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline MadCat

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
?? did you try them ? and did you do a backup for the extension and related files to be loaded on boot ? i must confess that i used them once on 2.x versions of TC and can not speak for 3.x, but they did work.

maybe a question/suggestion: every usb should be mounted as sda, sdb, sdc etc. did you try a script loaded on boot with a command like: sudo mount -a /dev/sd*

how many usb should you mount on boot? if it is always the same ones, you can customize it with a script loaded on boot. i think that microcore with such a (backed up) script should be not go beyond 8 MB.

Yea, myself and another guy tried to get it working. Refused to mount USB when the terminal was on... Best we could get was Mounting USB @ Start which basically defeated the point of wanting to turn Tiny Core into a Thin Client OS. Eitherway it seem ThinStation is the way to go...

Offline MadCat

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 09:47:37 AM »
With udev you do not need to deal with device name. It is provided by udev as %k variable, see my demo script above. For testing you can write it to a file for example to see what happens inserting an usb. Also, use udevadm's monitor function to see what is going on.

You fail to realize your script refused to get to the rebuildfstab command, go test it and see...

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 10:14:35 AM »

You fail to realize your script refused to get to the rebuildfstab command, go test it and see...

Well, it was tested becuse submitted. Also, you are missing to relize that working with linux requires self education, testing, etc. An investment. Seems a specialized system like TC is not for you. That's fine, but if you are not willing to do so, better to use something else instead of being negative.
Béla

Offline MadCat

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 10:20:43 AM »

Well, it was tested becuse submitted. Also, you are missing to relize that working with linux requires self education, testing, etc. An investment. Seems a specialized system like TC is not for you. That's fine, but if you are not willing to do so, better to use something else instead of being negative.

No, It does not work... And I am not being negative. Anyways, I am going to refrain from posting since this I have already achieved my goal. Goodbye

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »
As the questions of Reply #13 have been ignored I am not that unhappy that indiscriminate automounting doesn't work easily.

Coping with the potential consequences might take more than just some quick scripting...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline alu

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 01:03:44 PM »
let's be positive, you should try a bit with linux and tc/mc is not often that easy, the learning curve can be a bit demanding, but it pays off. i have had similar problems with automount on several tiny client, and it was easy to set them up with bela's similar proposal or one of others like mines. feel free to get another try just in order to train, and tc/mc is good a that.

Offline BigBas

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 05:44:19 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have also been wanting to automount usb sticks on tinycore and came across this thread. I have to add that the info from "bmarkus" DOES work. Initially the scripts wouldn't work and i was having the same issue as MadCat but i found the solution was file permissions.

Once i had applied executable permisions to the 2 script files with the chmod command it works!

I know this is an old thread but it helped me and may help someone else.

Thanks  for the great forum and keep up the good work. :)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 06:03:50 AM »
BigBas,

thanks for the confirmation it works. I will add it to WiKi.

Béla

Offline innominate

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 08:08:37 AM »
Hi,

For whatever it's worth, this worked fine for me and is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks Béla et al!

Cheers,

Offline Johannj2

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 11:47:43 AM »
Thanks bmarkus,

10 years later and this information is still useful, thanks for the help.

Regards
Johann