WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Future Fluff features (after version 1.1)  (Read 10927 times)

Offline floppy

Re: Future Fluff features (after version 0.9.5 in TC 3.6)
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »
Floppy: To extend what tinypoodle posted, Fluff uses the linux/unix "mv" (move) command to rename files and directories.  In some file systems, the mv command does not attempt to rename items that only differ by capitalization.  I don't plan to code around this limitation.  Maybe I can document this "quirk" in the help file.
a help info is fine. we dont want to have a FatyCoreLinux.
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 09:42:42 AM »
Floppy, All: The Core Team decided to remove Fluff from the Base system for future releases.  See here: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=9502.msg52380#msg52380

I will start to submit Fluff as an installable extension.  So from now on, I can be a little more liberal with features and code size... although I still want Fluff to be very light and fast compated to alternatives.  C'est bon-n'est pas?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:44:22 AM by MikeLockmoore »

Offline floppy

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 10:40:01 AM »
Oui maƮtre. And: leave fluff as extension in the basic TCL iso. A file manager is very usefull for installation.
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline b1ackmai1er

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 07:01:14 AM »
It would be GREAT if:

fluff forced renaming of files only differing by capitalization. I use TC as music server and it is a real pain having to disconnect the hard drive to correct song or artist name titles on an XP machine. Remember the basis concept behind windows platforms is WYSIWYG

Also I LOVE sudo button just where it is.

Would love to have dual pane layout like nautilus.

Thanks.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »
It would be GREAT if:

fluff forced renaming of files only differing by capitalization. I use TC as music server and it is a real pain having to disconnect the hard drive to correct song or artist name titles on an XP machine. Remember the basis concept behind windows platforms is WYSIWYG

Looks like that is rather a matter of Linux (fs driver) than of a particular userspace app.

You might want to have a look at mtools if perhaps there is such an option.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline OldAdamUser2

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 06:25:56 PM »
Mike--

I'm sorry that Fluff has been dropped from the TC base. I now use the version in TC 3.5 as my only file manager (except when I turn to MC for filename searches). I have NO problems at all with Fluff and no complaints. It is a very fine little file manager.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 10:37:43 AM »
OldAdamUser2: Thanks for your kind words.  Please consider trying fluff_upgrade.tcz  to go to version 1.0.0 and later and let me know if you have issues.  I'll continue to develop Fluff as my time allows. 

As for Tiny Core base, the Core Team is not afraid to experiment a bit (such as adding Fluff), nor retract and revise earlier decisions.  This helps keep Tiny Core small, efficient, and fast, which I think almost everyone here appreciates.

Perhaps you've seen this thread, where I offer another, even smaller prototype file manager: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=9807.0.  Maybe it will be seen as appropriate for Tiny Core base in the future.

Offline -tri-

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »
@MikeLockmoore

I must add my opinion. I am also very sad that fluff was cut off from TC base. It is nice and very useful and important have any FM in TC base. I hope it will be back in TCB, fluff again or dirwin in the future.
And also sudo buton is VERY GOOD feature, leave it where it is!
Thank you for your work.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:06:07 AM by -tri- »

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 08:37:05 AM »
@-tri-: That is nice to hear.  :)

Offline newbody

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 10:51:34 AM »
-tri- wrote "And also sudo buton is VERY GOOD feature, leave it where it is! "

That was the feature that allowed me to get TinyCore working on my computer and on my challenged level of knowing what to do. So please keep it in. Very handy to use.
Acer D250, Snow Puppy, TinyCore and on HP SR5622, Snow Puppy,

Offline SunBurnt

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 07:11:50 PM »
Don`t know if this thread is still active. Kinda looks like it isn`t.

Fluff being a local file browser I don`t know how important ftp is, but it`d be nice.
It`s a file browser so it should do most things needed for working with files.

Dragging and dropping between the dir. and file panels is very important !!!

# All of this is best done in a right-click context menu.
1) Mount and unmount, drive partitions and loop mount files.
2) Compress and extract archive type files.
3) Set file extension associations for the file.
4) Cut, Copy, and Paste on the context menu.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 11:12:59 AM »
Hello SunBurnt.  Thanks for your interest.  I've not worked on Fluff actively for several months, but I would like to do several updates/additions to Fluff when I can find the time, along with workin on other apps.  ;)

Some comments on your suggestions:
(0) A few others have mentioned FTP and can see some value in it, but it would take more code to fully integrate than I want to invest right now.  Maybe after some other features I think will have greater utility to a wider variety of users.

1) I've mentioned mount/unmount as something I'd like to do.  It would be nice if people with more knowledge of mountable filesystems and how they specifically work in TC can help me when I get to that point.

2) You can configure your own application associations to do this.  I've done so before.  I think you should be able to find an example I've posted.

3) Not sure what you mean...  Change the name of the file so it ends with a different extension? You can already do that.  Add or modify the file-type recognition patterns so you can distinguish and run specific apps for them?  You can do that too, within some constraints.  Please review the help file and post specific questions/issues if you can't do what you want.  Maybe I or another user can help, or better understand how the current system could be improved.

4) There are right-click context menu items for Copy and Paste.  I know Cut is common in other apps, but Delete and Copy+Paste cover the two usage scenarios for Cut and allow a simpler, cleaner implementation.  This is important in a FM that tries to be lean.

Offline SunBurnt

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 08:42:14 PM »
Hi MikeLockmoore; Yes, ftp isn`t a high priority at all...

You didn`t say anything about drag-n-drop. MOST importantly from file box to dir. tree.
Going the other way isn`t so important, one direction can move and copy both files and dirs.

Mount is simple to use and needs no "-t ( fs type )" in it`s command, it`ll figure it out on it`s own.
In my experience adding the fs type won`t help mount over come a difficult mounting situation.

So here`s the shell commands to mount partitions:
Code: [Select]
mkdir -p /mnt/$1
mount /dev/$1 /mnt/$1

umount /mnt/$1
And here`s the shell commands to mount loop files:
Code: [Select]
MntPt=`echo $1 | sed "s#/#+#g"`
mkdir -p /mnt/$MntPt
mount /dev/$1 /mnt/$MntPt

umount /mnt/$MntPt
The sed command changes the image files path delimiters "/" into "+".
So this: /path/to/imageFile Becomes this: +path+to+imageFile
Now you have a mount point named after the image file`s path and name.

I know Fluff is probably written in C, but I only know a little C.
It`s the best way I can describe it to you. Ask if you need to know more.

I work with a Basic to C converter I like a lot called BaCon... Cheers... Terry

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 02:53:45 PM »
SunBurnt:
You didn`t say anything about drag-n-drop. MOST importantly from file box to dir. tree.
Going the other way isn`t so important, one direction can move and copy both files and dirs.

Fluff does do that kind of drag and drop.  Did you miss it somehow?  Maybe make sure you do: 1) click + release,  (to select a file/directory item)
then
2) click + drag + release,
then
3) reply to the copy/move prompt.

You can also select multiple files and directories first before dragging to a directory in the left-side tree.

I can and do use similar mount commands myself in the terminal shell.  That is an interesting tip to convert the path into part of the mount point filename.  I'll keep that in mind when I work on new features.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 02:41:04 AM »
if there was one overwhelming feature request for fluff, I'd had to say it is undoubtedly this,

How about an option to turn off the feature which constantly refreshes the window contents after a file copy.  I can't tell you how frustrating it is to constantly be searching with the scroll bars for your last working location after every single drag n' drop maneuver.  Please..

Double please and thank you :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:05:20 AM by coreplayer2 »