WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Dedicated Server, eth0 Device not found  (Read 15440 times)

Offline danielibarnes

Re: Dedicated Server, eth0 Device not found
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
Before I could try to reload the module, I was put on a HP DL160 G6 instead.

The HP ProLiant DL160 G6 has an "HP NC362i Integrated Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter" which uses the "Intel(R) 82576 Gigabit Dual Port Server Network Connection." The PCI ID is probably 8086:10E7, and is supported in Tiny Core by the igb kernel module.

Offline yetanotherusername

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »
It seems that is also uses cciss driver with hp Smart Array controller in the hp ProLiant server, which means I don't see my hard drive as /sda1. Instead it is not even mounted and can't be found. There is no hard drive detected as far as I can tell, with what I know.
A /cciss/c0d0 exists which I have only been able to determine through some DOS partitioning tools, which how I came to know about the smart array controller.
Should I start another thread? or try to get another server (I think they might give me a Supermicro, its the only other brand they have)  :-\

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 08:38:05 PM »
Again, best to check the PCI ID of the device using lspci to identify it. The HP SmartArray P410 is 103c:3243, supported by the hpsa module. Per instructions in the Debian Wiki,  you may need to add a file "/etc/modprobe.d/cciss_allow_hpsa.conf" containing the single line "options cciss cciss_allow_hpsa=y". I am unsure because it doesn't appear that Tiny Core has the cciss module anyway.

As soon as you confirm the scsi-2.6.33.3-tinycore extension works, you can install minecraft and re-create your microcore.gz to include it like you did for firmware.tcz:

sudo su
mkdir -p /tmp/tinycore/
cd /tmp/tinycore/
zcat /mnt/sda1/boot/microcore.gz | cpio -id
mkdir -p opt/tce/optional/
cp /mnt/sda1/tce/optional/scsi-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz opt/tce/optional/
echo scsi-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz >> opt/tce/onboot.lst
find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -9 > /tmp/microcore.gz
cp /tmp/micorcore.gz /mnt/sda1/boot/microcore.gz
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:50:13 PM by danielibarnes »

Offline yetanotherusername

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2011, 11:23:03 AM »
I didn't know the vendor id to use with lspci -n so I did lspci -nn and it just listed all the devices including the PCI IDs and determined:
Code: [Select]
07:00.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: Hewlett-Packard Company Smart Array G6 controllers [103c:323a] (rev 01)I loaded the extension with tce-load -i scsi-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz and fdisk -l showed the 500Gb hard drive and sda was detected, but trying to install mine os with its included scripts seemed to have problems when cfdisk ran, so i partitioned the harddrive in advance with another tool before booting back up to mine os. But it seemed to skip over copying files and another script to check file paths afterward produced only a screen full of:
Code: [Select]
SQUASHFS error: Unable to read data cache etnry [xxxxx]
SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block xxx, size xxx
SQUASHFS error: squashfs_read_data failed to read blcock 0x....
I'm pretty sure there is no support for scsi drives and this falls under that domains somewhere.
At this point I am going to request that Supermicro system and return back to this issue about supporting scsi and related things. I am thinking after I get this working (somewhere) and perhaps I found a niche where I can contribute to development of a linux distro, something I've wanted to do but never really had a project to try to make work. Getting this to work on this HP just feels a little out of reach right now.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 11:26:45 AM by yetanotherusername »

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2011, 12:39:24 PM »
Getting this to work on this HP just feels a little out of reach right now.

I agree. It is possible, but nontrivial. I can assist with getting microcore to work, and you've done that. Anything else requires wdchromium's help. He has a forum for that purpose; I'd suggest posting there to let him know your story.

Offline nickjf20

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »
I'm now maintaing [remaster]+ and I'm at a loss as to why SCSI support just isn't working.

I've tried following both the instructions above, on the wiki (both cat and pack and repack), all of which produce a useable microcore.gz which boots properly from a cd, loads all required extensions, and correctly detects, mounts and allows read/write access to any SCSI drives through the bus logic controller.

When Microcore is subsequently rebooted after copying (successfully) all the extensions, boot items e.t.c. onto the SCSI hdd, it boots as normal up until the extensions are loaded, at which point it fails ... no extensions are loaded, the SCSI disk (sda1) is shown to be blank, and the SCSI drivers are shown to be loaded (tce-load -wi scsi...... shows 'already installed!')

If it's of any significance, we are still running the micro core_3.6 intrid.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nick

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 02:00:31 PM »
I'm at a loss as to why SCSI support just isn't working.

Since it is definitely off-topic here, I'll PM you with assistance.