WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Dedicated Server, eth0 Device not found  (Read 15441 times)

Offline yetanotherusername

Dedicated Server, eth0 Device not found
« on: May 02, 2011, 12:41:51 PM »
I know there are many posts on this subject because I have combed through them but nothing really to solve my issue. I still don't know how find out if this is a problem that requires a driver or extension. So far I tried dmesg | grep eth0 (and e100) but nothing comes back.
I am using a fork of microcore called mine os+ for hosting minecraft server. I had a lot of succes on vmware to install and run so I ran out and got myself a dedicated server and since it was quite the custom install, they gave me remote access through DRAC for a Dell PowerEdge R410, Bios v 1.1.5, I don't know details on the network adapter, but I've been told that the eth0 port is up and ready for usage, I have 5 ip addresses.
ifconfig only returned lo, now it returns dummy0 and lo, looks like support tried a few things to make it work, looks like scripts for configuration files like /etc/resolv.conf. and commands like route add default gw xx.xx.xx.xx
I've read that there are no configuration files in tiny core, per se.
Support there suggests using ifup eth0 and proper configuration fies are populated but ifup: command not found :-P
Pretty lost at this point, but I'm invested to make this work.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 12:46:51 PM by yetanotherusername »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Dedicated Server, eth0 Device not found
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 12:57:22 PM »
Ifconfig -a should show you your interfaces.
You probably will have to write your own network startup scripts.
Forked OS suppliers must do their own support.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »
You need to determine what ethernet adapter you have. There are several available for the PowerEdge R410 (pdf). For example, the Broadcom NetXtreme II 5716 is supported by Tiny Core, so I am guessing you don't have that. It may be that you have a NIC which is too new, but we need the PCI ID to solve your problem.

You need to find a way to load the pci-utils extension. This includes the "lspci" program which will tell you what you have. Simply run "lspci" to display all devices. Executing "lspci -d 8086:" will list all Intel devices and "lspci -d 14e4:" will list all Broadcom devices. After you have identified which PCI device is your network interface, use "lspci -n" to display the PCI ID. For example:

# lspci -d 14e4:
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5761 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
# lspci -n -d 14e4:
06:00.0 0200: 14e4:1681 (rev 10)

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »
I found the extension pci-utils.tcz and downloaded it, then "burned" to an image file and remotely used the virtual media manager on DRAC which is basically a usb device for a virtual dvd.
Code: [Select]
sudo mount -t udf -r /dev/sr0 /mnt/sr0
sudo cp /mnt/sr0/pci-utils.tcz /mnt/sda1/tce/optional/pci-utils.tcz
guess what...? overwrite? ::)
Okay, so I don't have app browser, but the command line version of Appbrowser can be started using the ab command, but all I get is an empty list to choose from
and applications can also be loaded using terminal commands. 1. tce-run pci-utils 2. tce-load -i pci-utils 3. tce-load -is pci-utils
but all this returns
mount: mounting /dev/loop42 on /tmp/tcloop/pci-utils failed: Invalid argumentAt this point I am done with a pot of coffee and need to brew more.
Thanks for pointing me so far, love the learning process.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:14:58 PM »
Note: you will also need the libpci.tcz file on your image file as well.

For temporary use, it is sufficient to load the extensions from the virtual CD:

tc@box:~$ tce-load -i /mnt/sr0/libpci.tcz
/mnt/sr0/libpci.tcz: OK
tc@box:~$ tce-load -i /mnt/sr0/pci-utils.tcz
/mnt/sr0/pci-utils.tcz: OK

You should then be able to run lspci.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 12:10:24 AM »
hmmm, wasn't easy to find libpci.tcz, as it is listed in the repository, so I could download libpci.tcz from http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/libpci.tcz, but it is not listed in any mirrors that I went to from http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:install_apps
I am curious where the deb file is, I could have looked at the dependencies list.
Anyway, I got this far:
tc@box:~$ tce-load -i /mnt/sr0/libpci.tcz
/mnt/sr0/libpci.tcz: OK
mount: mounting /dev/loop43 on /tmp/tcloop/pci-utils failed: Invalid argument
maybe just a little more hand-holding to get me through? thanks!

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 07:47:40 AM »
mount: mounting /dev/loop43 on /tmp/tcloop/pci-utils failed: Invalid argument

This error means that pci-utils.tcz is not a valid file. Try re-downloading it. I didn't ask before, but have you tried booting from the tinycore iso image over this virtual CD connection?

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:57:32 AM »
re-downloading and a reboot and mounting the dvd again did the trick, I'm at the point I know its a Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5716 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20) device, as a matter of fact, two of them, 01:00.0 Ethernet controller and 01.00.1 Ethernet controller.
tc@box:/mnt/sr0$ lspci -n -d 14e4:
01:00.0 0200: 14e4:163b (rev 20)
01:00.1 0200: 14e4:163b (rev 20)
As far as booting tinycore (microcore) from this virtual CD connection, it is where I originally booted from onto a cleaned harddrive, all remotely through DRAC (Dell Remote Access Controller), then ran some scripts to create the partitions, some file paths, and finally removed the virtual dvd and rebooted with another script whose purpose was to make everything persist as far as setting up passwords and such, and now booting with grub, but no eth0 device found. It is essentially microcore OS as far as I can tell, with some added core files and extensions.
If you want to play with it, I can even give remote access, it has its own ip address and even connects to the dedicated server if its powered off. I was able to run DOS tools, etc., all remotely. Quite user friendly too. For anyone interested, it is presented on youtube  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz60zgxqwRM.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:04:59 AM by yetanotherusername »

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »
re-downloading and a reboot and mounting the dvd again did the trick, I'm at the point I know its a Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5716 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20) device, as a matter of fact, two of them, 01:00.0 Ethernet controller and 01.00.1 Ethernet controller.
tc@box:/mnt/sr0$ lspci -n -d 14e4:
01:00.0 0200: 14e4:163b (rev 20)
01:00.1 0200: 14e4:163b (rev 20)

Tiny Core should support this NIC then. So you are saying you booted a recent version of Tiny Core (not the minecraft image) and it did not work?

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 09:27:18 AM »
I have only booted from the minecraft image, which is based on microcore 3.5

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 09:47:40 AM »
Then it appears this minecraft image does not contain the necessary driver. You can confirm this by:

1) Booting the microcore 3.6 image to confirm you have a working eth0, and
2) Look in /lib/modules/2.6.33.3-tinycore/kernel/drivers/net for your driver: bnx2.ko.gz.

Do both, and reply with your results. If the minecraft image does not have the driver, you must petition the creator to restore it.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 09:53:36 AM »
booting from microcore-current.iso, I still don't get eth0, from dmesg I caught:
bnx2 0000:01:00.0: firmware: requesting bnx2-mips-09-5.0.0.j3.fw
bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-5.0.0.j3.fw"
I dunno

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 10:05:20 AM »
some more info from dmesg | grep bnx2
Broadcom NetXtreme II Gigabit Ethernet Driver bnx2 v2.0.3 (Dec 03, 2009)
bnx2 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 36 (level, low) -> IRQ 36
bnx2 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
bnx2 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A disabled
bnx2: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -2
Then it repeats, but with PCI INT B and IRQ 48

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 10:06:46 AM »
booting from microcore-current.iso, I still don't get eth0, from dmesg I caught:
I dunno

That was the other possibility, which is good because this file is part of the firmware.tcz extension. You can make this work, but you need to incorporate that extension into your minecraft image/installation.

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »
man, I am so close I can taste it. I have both files in my /mnt/sda1/tce/optional directory and tried sudo filetool.sh -b, tce-load -i firmware.tcz (and firmware-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tcz) and then I reboot but still the same issue. I don't have the AppBrowser but I'm working from the command line. I need to know how to make this work with terminal commands, but I can't seem to get my head wrapped around how to do that.
I can see now that my problem is related to the other posts on this issue, but it seems they all had AppBrowser, local or whatever, I just have a terminal.