WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: screeny of my new setup  (Read 14669 times)

Offline apacherulzz

screeny of my new setup
« on: May 01, 2011, 07:30:34 PM »
Dell Mini 9 | 2GB Ram | 8GB SSD | 8GB SD Card | Micro Core | Xorg | i3 | dzen2 | dmenu

A little bit about my choices: I discovered lightweight WMs (mainly tiled ones) and did not want all of the bloat of gnome, kde, etc. etc. I wanted bare bones so I can install what I want. Tiny Core did that tremendously for me. The only exception was xmonad which as a developer I am feeling is more like a joke than anything (not to offend anyone). It is just terribly difficult to get on a system that doesn't have precompiled binaries for ghc (as the ghc compiler is written in ghc). I noticed wmii and i3. I found wmii lacking in some areas and decided on i3. I was easily able to port my xmonad scripts for a dzen status bar to i3. I really just overlaid 4 bars on top of the i3 default bar. And there you have it. My new netbook system. I have firefox, gimp, and xpdf to name a few so far. Thanks Tiny Core!! Please leave any comments you feel necessary : )
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:56:46 PM by apacherulzz »

Offline tinypoodle

Re: screeny of my new setup
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:35:01 AM »
That looks more like a thumbnail than like a screenie   :P

Why a tiling wm on a netbook? Do you happen to use an external screen?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 04:00:37 AM »
in theory, the tilling is to maximize the proportion of screen used, i wrong?

however, the shoot is small and therefore not very satisfactory, but the palette does not seem to hurt

Offline apacherulzz

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 04:12:21 AM »
I was limited by the attachment size : ( when I get home from work ill post a full screenshot hosted on photobucket or something as I like my layout quite a bit : )

As far the tiling window manager goes, vinnie got half of it. The biggest reason though? Keyboard navigation. Most of your tiling WMs are managed solely by the keyboard and while the Dell Mini 9 has a nice touchpad, I have always found mice an inconvenience...even on desktops. Just always been a CLI kind of guy and set up more keyboard shortcuts than I would know what to do with! Only thing I couldn't do? Move windows... that's where the tiling WM comes into play :D

Offline vinnie

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:27:17 AM »
I hate the trackpad, I much prefer the touchpoint, but unfortunately I do not have (.ing patents).
O.t. this is lulz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_8om4dsEmw

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 12:55:24 PM »
in theory, the tilling is to maximize the proportion of screen used, i wrong?
I can't understand what that means   ???
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline apacherulzz

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 04:00:14 PM »
got the new screen shot up : )

@tinypoodle - I think what vinnie was just trying to say that in theory, tiling window managers are designed to make sure you get to use all of your screen. No matter how many windows you open, all of your screen will be used. With other WMs, you most likely are wasting _some_ space (unless you are constantly resizing windows or keeping them all maximized and just tabbing through them)

anywho, open to suggestions! :D

Offline vinnie

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »
apche, agreed to become my official translator?  ;D

Apropos, very great desktop  :o
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:17:41 PM by vinnie »

Offline apacherulzz

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 04:07:57 PM »
@ Vinnie  :D well thank you very much.

Taking this conversation further, I would have really liked to get xmonad in the TC repos and recently found out that they do have a flat file config version which does not require GHC  8) I also found out that if you have a machine that does have GHC installed you can compile the .hs file on that machine and just copy the executable over to TC so that will probably be my first contribution to the community  ;)

Offline TransitioningProgrammer

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:21:17 AM »
Wow, nice! Thanx for showing us this excellent setup! I didn't even know about tiling WM's until just now. I understood the concept long ago of course, but I haven't seen it as a WM. Or not thought about it if I did see it.

So! Time to say good-bye to that windows crap!

Ok then, what should I start with? Should I just get i3 or get that Qtile as shown by vinnie?
I'm no Python programmer though, I pretty much only use C++.
My current goal is to just make a very simple OS for C++ programming. With just a light browser for research and reading.

I'm just transitioning into Linux for real now, and have just used Puppy Linux for fun. And there are pretty fun Puppy distros. But that's all to Puppy, I think.
TinyCore is the future of small powerful distros.

So, I will be setting up a proper C/C++ programming environment in Linux for the first time as well. Good-bye to IDE's as well!

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 08:51:39 AM »
Hi TransitioningProgrammer
Welcome to the forum. In case you have not seen it mentioned yet, when you go to install a compiler, install
the  compiletc.tcz  extension. This way you'll have a proper toolchain for compiling on Tinycore.

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 09:10:25 AM »
Thnk you so much Rich! I will try that compiletc.tcz.

Hmm, I will create my own very basic development environment from the Micro Core, and then publish it here on the forum, with a tutorial of how to set up such an environment from scratch.
And then invite others to contribute to building a better and better resource for this purpose, but no specific programming distro will have to be published. Just making the process easier should be enough for most programmers.

By the way: yesterday I made my first Frankenstein distro from TC Plus! And it's alive! And for me at least, it's better than TC Plus. But this time I will work from scratch!

Edit again:
And wouldn't it be better to have a sub-community for Micro Core, where we only build from the Micro Core? You know, where all the hard-Core stuff takes place! ^^ We could call it the Hard Core Development Effort, or something.
I know we have the Micro Core sub-forum, but people are just discussing the Micro Core itself there.
So what you say?
Anyone want to have a HCDE going on here?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:32:20 AM by TransitioningProgrammer »

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »
Ahhh... I'm getting cognitive orgasms when I'm thinking about tiled windows managers. XD
I come back here to look at your stimulating setup... ^^

I'm finally getting to work now on my own Micro Core with i3, like in your set up. So could you perhaps share a bit more details? Like scripts for i3...

I will just make the most basic system, with i3 for a nice tiled window manager. It will look so nice on my extracted laptop display (which is also connected to it's original laptop). With "extracted" I mean that I removed just the display, and made an extended cable for it.
It sits on top of my main display, it's really nice...