WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: MicroCore, Anyone?  (Read 10842 times)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: MicroCore, Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 09:12:35 AM »
The GUI that netzen described would be pretty easily doable. Rather hard in windows, of course, as that OS is not able to loop-mount images natively, but for them, there could just be a zip with the current contents. And a binary of mkisofs.

Essentially, it would be a GUI to unpack the iso, then a frontend / caller for appbrowser to download all desired extensions to a directory named "tce" in the root of the to-be-iso, and then a caller to mkisofs with a progress bar.
Or, it would only present a graphical form of some rather easy command line tasks.

While I'm not sure I'd like to see all kinds of Windows users then coming to ask what an ISO image is, I'm not completely against such a gui either. In my own opinion it's not important enough for me to do, but if someone does, I'll support them.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 03:08:13 PM »
How long does it take to do a tc remaster? 

depends on how much one has to learn. tinycore is based on the idea of: build it your own way without remastering (mydsl was too.) the best argument for any core apps is that most people do not want so much customization that they have to organize what goes into the absolute base install. (plus you need something like wget.) it takes more time and knowledge to remove a web browser and remaster than to add it- it's might be worth making remastering as easy as adding applications, where possible.

i don't think someone should ever need to remaster (or go to the trouble of setting up persistence) before having a friendly gui, i would prefer that all the gui stuff be shoved into an extension, and the extension be included in the iso, outside tinycore.gz

then you could have a bootcode that didn't use the extension... remembering that tc doesn't load the entire iso into memory, just tinycore.gz and any extensions that it finds. when someone new is setting up tc for the first time, i want them to have a gui, regardless of whether they're online yet or not. you're almost certainly thinking of what it's like to use tc after you're familiar, after you're online. i'm thinking of what it's like for someone who's never seen linux before. i want tc to continue make a first impression that isn't text-only. but if the gui was an extension, making two isos for download would be trivial.

Offline oldtimer

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 03:37:12 PM »
then you could have a bootcode that didn't use the extension...

Yes. How about 'Secure GUI Terminal'.  Tiny Core might one day be both the most minuscule and maximal distro.

It would also up the ante for ultimate bragging rights and benefit antique PC owners.  Then again, they are already giddy.

The most practical application (my fantasy) will be on my NanoNetBook; a bootable wrist watch, that  wirelessly connects to: the internet via satellite, my sun-glasses (the monitor!) and the paper-thin touchpad/keyboard which is unrolled from its pencil-sized container and placed on my beach-side drink table.

Don't laugh.  It will happen.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 04:48:53 PM »
Why is that alcohol never goes out of fashion? 

Offline oldtimer

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 06:04:57 PM »
Ha.  Well, that was MY fantasy.

Regarding Robert's reality check comments, what change do you think would give the most bang-for-the-buck to increasing general user popularity?

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 06:57:33 PM »
The most practical application (my fantasy) will be on my NanoNetBook; a bootable wrist watch, that  wirelessly connects to: the internet via satellite, my sun-glasses (the monitor!) and the paper-thin touchpad/keyboard which is unrolled from its pencil-sized container and placed on my beach-side drink table.

the technology that replaces the technology that replaces bluetooth will probably have enough bandwidth for your sunglasses. japan already has monitors like that for consumer use, what i would like to see is more open standards for electronic interfaces (not just for the connection but also the device) so that open drivers are easier to write.

otherwise it will be proprietary hardware and second-rate drivers, whether buggy closed-source drivers that work, or open source drivers that work but have fewer features. i like the free software movement, it could be helped by an open hardware movement. open hardware projects (bios, car, phones) but there is no organization to bring them together.

with the passionate nature of philosophers like richard stallman, and the practical, sometimes compromising nature of people like bruce perens and lawrence lessig, some would argue it's better that there is no free hardware foundation. i understand the sentiment. it would be nice to see open hardware conventions (meetings) though. i'd love to build an open source device to run tinycore on, something that looked like a miniature commodore 64 i could put in a carry case and connect to a variety of monitors, including a very small one for more portable use, and a standard monitor for home.

Offline Medox

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 05:11:50 AM »
Just for kicks I removed out of tinycore.gz all that relates to X, the fltk apps, and brought the size of the iso down to 6.3MB.  I put all that I removed into an extension so I could have it back with one command.  I booted in 10 seconds on my modest machine and was sitting on 18.7MB of used RAM.  I added the extension back on and then started X and added my usual apps like nothing was different.

Could you please upload the 6.3MB version? It would be great.
Still, I'm not an expert but hopefully this will help me with my project.
Or maybe a quich how to... I'm still new to most of the stuff (especially to strip downs like this)

Thanks & TinyCore is great! Exactly what I searched. I already spent some hours remastering it...  :)
“Your body's just a vehicle, transporting the soul.
It's what's inside of people, is beauty to behold.” - Damian Marley

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 09:08:32 AM »
I think I deleted the image as well as the list as it was mainly an experiment, but I will look once more.  I would rather not post an iso or tinycore.gz but if I see the list I will upload it.  But I think it is gone.

Offline kerpob

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 04:15:25 AM »

Do away with the wristwatch - make the keyboard bootable & have the wireless connectivity. Also make it waterproof, so you can go swimming with it. And solar powered.
eee user. From Xandros to Debian via Breeezy to TCL.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 06:50:30 PM »
A microcore option comming soon; currently in alpha testing. Stay tuned...
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Medox

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 04:10:40 AM »
great news. can't wait :)
“Your body's just a vehicle, transporting the soul.
It's what's inside of people, is beauty to behold.” - Damian Marley

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 09:16:46 PM »

Do away with the wristwatch - make the keyboard bootable & have the wireless connectivity. Also make it waterproof, so you can go swimming with it. And solar powered.

You want to go swimming with your computer?  I do like specific devices that I can place on my surfboard to track speed, etc, but don't think I care to read my email while swimming.  It's always interesting to check out ideas that have failed...usually because they really don't add much to peoples'  lives.  I've been waiting for a good ebook reader for years....We've got Sony and Kindle, but still lousy graphics.....go figure..but then videos, twitter, and itunes have more popular appeal then reading. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:30:05 PM by jpeters »

Offline kerpob

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 01:16:28 AM »

You want to go swimming with your computer?  I do like specific devices that I can place on my surfboard to track speed, etc, but don't think I care to read my email while swimming.  It's always interesting to check out ideas that have failed...usually because they really don't add much to peoples'  lives.  I've been waiting for a good ebook reader for years....We've got Sony and Kindle, but still lousy graphics.....go figure..but then videos, twitter, and itunes have more popular appeal then reading. 

I've seen youtube videos of people waterproofing their laptops to use by the pool when dripping wet. And in the bath. I personally bought a waterproof keyboard after my kids spilled juice over one. Anyway - with global warming and sea level rises, it might be more important than we think!
eee user. From Xandros to Debian via Breeezy to TCL.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 05:03:28 AM »
Shaking hands and increased coffee addiction are good reasons for waterproof keyboards too.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 06:06:16 AM »
Greetings.

I agree with jpeters. It should not be a size game. It is about best core system that can be expanded in a modular way to suit user's needs.
I am a new user of TCL and after playing a lot over years with Wolvix, Vector, Zenwalk, I discovered Austrumi and then Slitaz. As bloat is not acceptable to me I thought I found the best Linux until I dicovered TCL a few weeks ago. I am not about looking for something to run on extremely old hardware but on any hardware, old and newest, a system with dexterity, modularity and integrity. From my testing TCL is absolutely the best, both in concept and implementation.
Some may not understand or notice how well TCL is designed and implemented. Let me just mention one example out of many, namely network support:
I put TCL in my desktop - recognized and configured my gigabit network. I put it in my old thinkpad 600 with PCMCIA network card - recognized and configured! Connected to the Internet without ado! Neither Slitaz nor Austrumi nor Zenwalk could do this! And I am mentioning just the best ones!
Modularity: Outstanding. You can put together anything you need and only what you need in a short time and easy...
Integrity: The system you put together can be easily maintained in a pristine state, preventing corruption.
The creator of this gem really knows what is the right thing to do! I just hope this great work will continue and will be available to larger audience.
I am concerned that considering the TCL creator's health this will not be abandoned in the future...