WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: open-vm-tools for VMware  (Read 42011 times)

Offline danielibarnes

open-vm-tools for VMware
« on: April 14, 2011, 05:01:34 PM »
I submitted my open-vm-tools extensions, and they are now posted. Since there are at least a half-dozen separate threads on the topic, I am starting a new one to centralize information on the extensions, helpful tips on their usage, and receive feedback on any issues. I tested these extensions with VMware Player 3.1.4 and VMware ESXi 4.1.0 Update 1.

There are seven extensions:
  • open-vm-tools, -dev, -modules: tools built with only a glib2 dependency
  • open-vm-tools-x, -dev, -modules: tools built with X support and a total of 37 dependencies.
  • vm-scsi-2.6.33.3-tinycore: kernel modules for SCSI devices used by VMware guests

Since it doesn't depend on X, the open-vm-tools extension is ideal for Micro Core. It provides kernel modules such as the vmxnet driver for the "Flexible" adapter used by VMware Player. The vmmemctl driver, although no longer a part of open-vm-tools, is built from the last release of open-vm-tools that provided it. The vmtoolsd daemon is started with a script in /usr/local/etc/init.d. It will synchronize time with the host and work with Shared Folders. You can even create a VMware remix of Micro Core.

The open-vm-tools-x extension depends on Xorg, and is a larger package. The extensions plus dependencies total about 40MB. In addition to the features provided by the basic extension, features such as mouse integration, the shared clipboard, Unity, and automatic screen resizing are provided and work as expected. The vmware-user daemon is started automatically when X starts in order to provide this functionality. Instructions for creating a VMware remix of Tiny Core are also available.

Tips:
  • Do not run the startup script in /opt/bootlocal.sh with Tiny Core because X may start before the script has had a chance to set up the necessary files.
  • The xclip extension is useful with the shared clipboard feature.
  • In order to configure the vmxnet interfaces with a static address, be sure to specify the nodhcp bootcode and configure the interface after running the start script.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:43:29 AM by danielibarnes »

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Re: open-vm-tools for VMware
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 03:29:38 AM »
Great job, Daniel! I'm using VMWare Workstation a lot with TC, so thank you very much for this extension :)
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 03:41:41 AM »
vmxnet is included in the base?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:13:03 AM »
vmxnet is included in the base?

vmxnet3 is included; vmxnet is not part of the linux kernel. Perhaps because the PCI ID is the same as the pcnet32 module.

Offline athouston

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:58:23 PM »
Also thank you Daniel. I am a long time user of the other operating system and have been using TC to teach myself about the rest of the It world. I've decide to jump from v2 to v3 but I'm still learning Linux. Hence a couple of stupid questions if I may.

I have load open-vm-tools-x and vm-scsi... in a virtual TC session under VMWare Fusion 3 on an iMac 10.6 O/S. Both of these files are listed in the OnBoot Items in AppsAudit.

Apparently the vmtools is running OK because I now don't get an message to load it when I start the session. But the mouse still stays stuck in the session screen unless I manually release it (control-command). I see your reference to the xorg.conf being modified with the mouse "driver=vmmouse" line. My system has an xorg.conf.vesa file. I assume this is what needs modifying (it says "driver=mouse"). Problem is it is R/O. I ran sudo su before starting vi but it is persistently R/O. Is this the correct file and how can I get around the R/O please.

Secondly, in system stats I see the vmxnet loaded but no reference to flexible drive. I assume I don't need to worry about the "blacklist=..." option on startup.

Can you clarify that the nodhcp option is for open-vm-tools-x and that I should modify this to include nodhcp on my dhcp server (because it is static).

Offline maro

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 01:16:47 AM »
I can only provide you with an answer to your first problem:

As the '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.vesa' file is actually a symbolic link into a RO filesystem (of the squashFS "flavour") you stand no chance of chainging the content of this file directly. Furthermore you need to edit '/etc/X11/xorg.conf', so
(1) copy the file (e.g. via sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.vesa /etc/X11/xorg.conf) and then
(2) edit the "proper" configuration file (e.g. via sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf). If things are working to your satisfaction you might want to
(3) include it in your backup (e.g. via echo etc/X11/xorg.conf >> /opt/.filetool.lst).

Offline athouston

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 04:05:45 AM »
Thank you Maro - that makes sense now that its explained to me.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:22:26 AM »
Also thank you Daniel. I am a long time user of the other operating system and have been using TC to teach myself about the rest of the It world. I've decide to jump from v2 to v3 but I'm still learning Linux. Hence a couple of stupid questions if I may

These are good questions, as any new user is going to have the same concerns.

Apparently the vmtools is running OK because I now don't get an message to load it when I start the session. But the mouse still stays stuck in the session screen unless I manually release it (control-command). I see your reference to the xorg.conf being modified with the mouse "driver=vmmouse" line. My system has an xorg.conf.vesa file. I assume this is what needs modifying (it says "driver=mouse"). Problem is it is R/O. I ran sudo su before starting vi but it is persistently R/O. Is this the correct file and how can I get around the R/O please.

You need to tell Xorg to auto-detect the VMware video device and create a new xorg.conf with the appropriate settings. You also need to create a backup of these files so they will be restored the next time you boot up. The backup file is stored in your tce directory, so this means your tce directory must be on persistent storage like a hard drive or usb flash drive.

tc@box:~$ sudo Xorg -configure
tc@box:~$ sudo mv /home/tc/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
tc@box:~$ echo etc/X11/xorg.conf >> /opt/.filetool.lst
tc@box:~$ echo /usr/local/etc/init.d/open-vm-tools-x start >> /opt/bootsync.sh
tc@box:~$ filetool.sh -b

Notes:
1) 'Xorg -configure" will auto-detect the proper settings and create a xorg.conf.new file in your home directory.
2) You must move it to the proper location for backup.
3) Add the xorg.conf file to you backup list.
4) Include the startup script in your bootsync.sh script for convenience.
5) Perform the backup.

Secondly, in system stats I see the vmxnet loaded but no reference to flexible drive. I assume I don't need to worry about the "blacklist=..." option on startup.

You only need the "blacklist=pcnet32" option if you see the module loaded:
tc@box:~$ lsmod|grep pcnet32

Can you clarify that the nodhcp option is for open-vm-tools-x and that I should modify this to include nodhcp on my dhcp server (because it is static).

If you aren't sure that you need it, then you don't. The nodhcp option is for users which need to configure the interface with a static IP address. Typical users have a DHCP server or use the one provided by VMware for NAT and host-only networking.

Offline athouston

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 04:12:24 AM »
Thanks Daniel, I'll work through that over the next couple of days.

One of the VM's that I want to create is a database and DHCP / DNS server, hence the nodhcp question. I can set the IP address under VM for testing but will need to set it under TC when I build the actual server ( I have an old Dell server with a bucket load of SCSI disk space).

My next two challenges will then be getting aoetools working ( I see the thread) and install CouchDB (which I don't see anywhere).

Cheers and be well.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »
My next two challenges will then be getting aoetools working ( I see the thread) and install CouchDB (which I don't see anywhere).

I use couchdb in a VM, and I have a few tips. I presume you know or can find out how to customize and preserve files using a cpio archive or a backup tgz.

1) Customize /etc/couchdb/local.ini to store your databases on a virtual HDD. By default, they are stored in tmpfs (which is really just memory).

database_dir = /mnt/hda1/couchdb
view_index_dir = /mnt/hda1/couchdb
uri_file = /mnt/hda1/couchdb/couch.uri

2) Set your bind address to 0.0.0.0 in local.ini, otherwise connections will only be accepted from localhost:

bind_address = 0.0.0.0

3) Start couchdb in /opt/bootlocal.sh for convenience:

/etc/init.d/couchdb start &>/dev/null

Offline ido

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 02:24:31 AM »
Daniel, Can you please re-release the package for the 4.x of tinycore ?

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 09:06:43 AM »
Sorry, I am way behind in maintenance. I'll look into it.

Offline ido

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 11:55:26 PM »
Any updates ?

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 01:14:13 PM »
I will not have time to look at it until the end of the month.

Offline bluebadge

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »
Thanks for looking at this. It will really help me as well!