WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: New Tiny Core User  (Read 2582 times)

Offline frozenQueue

New Tiny Core User
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
Hi. I'm fairly new to tiny core. Used it a few weeks ago to test a PXE boot server. Did a USB Boot install on my 256 MB thumb drive, and it works well except I am still going through the wiki article on setting up wireless. This way I can use portable Linux on the company laptop without deleting the Windows installation. They wouldn't be so happy about that.  ::)

Thanks for the cool distro! It is neat how the OS is contained in the initramfs and how apps can be loaded on boot or on demand and so forth.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: New Tiny Core User
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 05:26:51 AM »
The USB installation is automated by using the Control Panel and selecting HD/USB Install.

Typically on my usb stick I have the following + their dependencies:
wireless-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz
wireless_tools.tcz
wpa_supplicant.tcz
firmware.tcz
ndiswrapper.tcz

Having a completely nomadic usb stick is still not easy:

Most newer machines will boot usb sticks, some older ones require specific structure on pendrive, e.g. USB-ZIP

Some machines will have locked BIOS and boot order does not permit booting from USB stick.

If successful in booting then the issue is connectivity. Many wired Ethernet cards are supported. But there are some that require firmware.

As there is a  plethora of wireless cards you might find by loading the wireless extensions that your wifi is recognized. Or you might opt for ndiswrapper.

Ndiswrapper can be very handy when booting on an existing Windows machine, as the likely driver is there.

Bottom line:
For me, I usually carry around a USB Wifi stick and a USB Tiny Core stick which I have already configured the usb wifi.  Then if the host machine will  boot USB, I am good to go.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline andie

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 10:28:17 AM »
"For me, I usually carry around a USB Wifi stick and a USB Tiny Core stick which I have already configured the usb wifi.  Then if the host machine will  boot USB, I am good to go."

thats a pretty neat idea towards total portability

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:39:56 AM »
Great idea Robert.
Now I have to collect all my USB sticks ( They all have TC on them ).
Maybe I'll also add a USB wired stick to my kit.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:42:16 AM by gerald_clark »

Offline netnomad

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 01:13:46 PM »
hello andie, hi folks,

i configured a couple of usbsticks that i store in my wallet, my netbook-bag, my jacket, my car, my key-ring and so on... that i can be sure there is always a well configured stick anywhere.
at the same time i have always a 3g-umts-stick around...
and the next thing i really enjoy:
every pc, notebook, netbook or server i get any access at friends and so on, i try whether i' m able to boot micro/tinycore? with internet-acess? with printing-support? with 3g-internet-access? and so on...
and the result is just amazing, more than 9 of 10 work just perfectly.
sometimes i like to be a nomad in a not-configured nowhere-land and it can be some kind of fun to connect, dig tunnels, sync, work, have fun, and meanwhile music streamed in the background...
nowadays i do 90% of fun and 30% of work in my microcore-fluxbox-bubble...
again thanks a lot to all contributors of tinycore!!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:16:35 PM by netnomad »