General TC > General TC Talk

Audio Beep on Completion of Boot-Up

(1/3) > >>

SamK:
A headless TC machine is being planned.  Is there a simple way of producing multiple beeps from an on-board sounder/loudspeaker?  It is not essential to the running of the machine - simply to indicate the boot process has ended.  There will be no audio software installed (OSS/ALSA).

tinypoodle:
Without OSS or alsa that would require the pcspkr module which does not appear to be enabled in kernel config.

SamK:

--- Quote from: tinypoodle on March 20, 2011, 04:48:12 AM ---Without OSS or alsa that would require the pcspkr module which does not appear to be enabled in kernel config.

--- End quote ---
It will be interesting to learn the reason for its omission.  Is it recorded  somewhere?  Possibly, one of the development team might comment.  Is it due to the additional size etc?

A couple of suggestions why it might be worthwhile enabling sounder/beeper support

* Core is interested in positioning itself within the embedded sector
* As the popularity of the distro increases there may be a corresponding growth in the number of headless installations  

llondel:
Recompile the kernel or compile the module and add it in if you need it. I've added a few things  (and removed others) and repacked the initrd image, and now I have a few scripts to automate some parts of the process it's quite easy. You could probably add it as a tcz as well.

SamK:

--- Quote from: llondel on March 22, 2011, 12:13:44 AM ---Recompile the kernel...

--- End quote ---
I try to stay with the standard base wherever possible and in this case activating the on-board beeper is helpful rather than essential to the headless unit.  It is really an enquiry about whether the reasons for it being disabled by default remain applicable as the distro matures.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version