WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tinycore to the rescue  (Read 2350 times)

Offline RINGSEND

Tinycore to the rescue
« on: March 14, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »
A very satisfied user with the following experience:

I have an Acer Ferrari One (200) with a AMD Dual core processor L310.
Anyway, it was overheating to such an extent, under Win7 and Ubuntu 10.10, it would defensively
shut itself down, often after a few minutes. Using flash was especially problematic. I tried all the usual remedies, including underclocking, but I
reckoned I had a dud machine (there isn't a large number of users with the same problem I can find on the web)

So, I applied my tinycore skills, picked up using it on a classic Acer aspire one, and now I have a perfectly functioning,
super fast netbook with all elements (wifi, sound, video...) working nicely.
Watching a HD (720) youtube clip raises the CPU temp to a reasonable 58C from an average 42C. Win7 maxed out at 95C before meltdown.

So, thank you to tinycore. It helps low-powered PCs to eke out an honourable existence in retirement AND higher-end machines perform better, much better.

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Tinycore to the rescue
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:33:15 PM »
In case you haven't done so already, have a look at the cpufreq* extensions, might potentially help a little keeping temp low, at least while CPU is idle.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline RINGSEND

Re: Tinycore to the rescue
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 02:26:22 AM »
Thanks for that, I'll try those out.