WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installing TC to Slave hard drive, Ext4, Grub2. HOW?  (Read 19879 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Installing TC to Slave hard drive, Ext4, Grub2. HOW?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 08:49:18 AM »
I have found the issue with mousetool regarding left handed 2 button serial mouse and fixed it for next cut.

KingBongo, glad to hear you are up and running. You even contributed to finding a bug.  ;)

Now, I have to set my mouse back to a righty, as this left handedness is driving me crazy. Even though it is probably a good exercise for the mind.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »
Now, I have to set my mouse back to a righty, as this left handedness is driving me crazy. Even though it is probably a good exercise for the mind.

..reminds me of when one of my kids turned a mouse thru' 90 degrees and clicked with their thumb because it was too big for their hands - just try it...

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2011, 11:58:53 AM »

Hmm, perhaps that exercise could be more complete by using 'xrandr -o 2' in addition   ;D
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2011, 05:29:41 PM »
Would it be a good idea to use copyfs on all of them or just on, say, xmms? Would it improve "snappiness" much?

Theoretically that would be the absolutely fastest mode, under the condition that you have infinite RAM...
However, as soon as your RAM fills up, you will have less RAM available for cache.
Besides from that I refer to what I had stated already in Reply #13.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline KingBongo

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2011, 09:03:24 AM »
Thank you guys for helping me out! Now I just gotta find something else to install this on, lol. Hmm, maybe I should try it on my main computer.

EDIT: OOOOOOH! I tried putting everything that is in "onboot.lst" into "copy2fs.lst" as well, i.e xmms, alsa, and kmaps. Guess what, the boot time only increased with 1-2s :D Before: 2.07min, Now, 2.09min. I guess these apps are small enough not to make any notable difference. I now have a TURBO machine ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:58:22 PM by KingBongo »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2011, 09:27:18 AM »
Hi KingBongo
I have a machine similar to your's, Pentium MMX 233Mhz, 256Mb Ram. While it's a bit sluggish for a
web browser or for compiling, it's more than adequate for a file server. I boot from a CD, have the
apps on a USB memory stick, and share the entire hard drive. Since your CD is failing and you don't
have USB, you could set up a small partition for Tinycore and it's apps and a second partition for
sharing files, assuming of course you have use for a file server. Plus, if you have other hard drives
lying around, you could install them for even more storage.

Offline KingBongo

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2011, 02:56:20 PM »
Rich:
Good idea, but this computer already found a new home in our garage/work shop :) It is to be used as a music player only. It is far away from any kind of net connection and safe from all kinds of hacker attacks :P
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:00:05 PM by KingBongo »

Offline KingBongo

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2011, 04:57:12 AM »
Hi. Back again with some more stupid questions ;)

As I understand it, I now have a "frugal" install of TC. How do I install it in a "native" way, i.e. uncompressed? Would it improve performance much? Sure as hell I couldn't find any information about this anywhere ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:00:14 AM by KingBongo »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2011, 05:09:49 AM »
Unsupported, may break, and no, it would not improve performance. It would leave some 20mb more free ram.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline KingBongo

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »
curaga:
Thank you! Good to know. I was thinking that since the kernel and other files have to be uncompressed when booting (don't they?), a "frugal" install would be slower. But I guess that part is insignificant compared to the rest of the booting process.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2011, 05:02:41 AM »
It depends. You might win in boot time, but lose in runtime performance. And it may break ;)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2011, 07:17:11 PM »
Or lose in boot time, unless the CPU would be extraslow and the medium extrafast...

Offline KingBongo

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2011, 09:46:29 PM »
curaga/tinypoodle:
Well, what I was thinking was having the stuff uncompressed on the hard drive, but still load it into RAM. That would work, wouldn't it? ;) But I guess it might still be like tinypoodle says.