WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] - How to run an extension from the terminal... not working  (Read 6065 times)

Offline rizzim3

Just trying to figure out how to run an extension from the terminal without using the Apps browser. For example, when I type gnumeric at the terminal prompt I get the message:

sh: gnumeric: not found

However, when I use the Apps browser and set it to "Download Only" from "Local" (I have the extensions on a USB) and then enter the given app name at the terminal prompt it works. Why is that? I'm a bit confused about this. I was under the assumption that since the USB is mounted I would be able to just use the terminal to run the app since it knows where the extension is. I figured that I didn't need to use the Apps browser to download the app prior to using. Maybe I'm not understanding the run process.

Can someone please explain the correct process to run an application from the terminal without having to use the Apps browser. Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find anything relating to my issue on this forum. And yes, I've just started with Linux... can you tell? ha!

Your help is greatly appreciated...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:11:23 AM by rizzim3 »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: How to run an extension from the terminal... not working
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 06:30:08 PM »
TC comes with almost no apps installed.
You must use AppBrowser, ab, or tce-load to download and install an application
before you can run it.

Please spend some time reading the docs on the main site, and the wiki.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 06:42:11 PM »
Hi rizzim3
Your problem was in how you installed the app. Read this and see if it helps.

http://www.tinycorelinux.com/overview.html

Offline rizzim3

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 07:01:11 PM »
gerald_clark:
What I find confusing is that I can go to the tce/optional directory in FileMgr, highlight the app I'm interested in and click "Run" and it proceeds to do its thing and run the application. I don't need to go to AppsBrowser at all. So, I'm assuming the "Run" function in FileMgr is doing something similar to the AppsBrowser "Download + Load" or "Download". I just wanted to replicate this functionality via the terminal.

Rich:
I installed using the bootable stick mode where all my extensions are in the tce/optional directory

Thanks for the suggestions

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »
Hi rizzim3
Try changing your app to OnBoot.

Offline rizzim3

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Rich:
I could do that or I can even use "On Demand" but that's not the way I want to set things up for now. I kind of want things clean in the windows enviro so to speak and just load and the applications when I want.

There has to be a way to run an application that has already been downloaded from the Appsbrowser using the terminal. I must be missing something basic but just can't figure it out!

Thanks for the suggestion though

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 07:51:07 PM »
Hi rizzim3
If you use OnDemand or OnBoot you will be able to run them from a terminal.
This is not windows, the enviroment will not get messed up, and there is no
registry to foul up.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:53:52 PM by Rich »

Offline rizzim3

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 08:22:06 PM »
Rich:
Yes, when I have things as OnDemand and OnBoot then all works well from terminal. I guess my problem is that I'm still thinking along the lines of a MS Windows enviro. It will take sometime to shed myself from such thinking!

I guess I should just audit the OnDemand list to make things easier if I want to load the app from the terminal.

Process flow examples I tried...

Process 1:
1) Download the app from AppBrowser and save it to tce/optional (I'm assuming that it can not be run from terminal just yet since it's not loaded)
2) Use the tce-load function from the terminal to load the app
3) Enter the app name at the terminal prompt to run the app
Note: when I do this it does not work. It fails at Step 3

Process 2
1) Download the app from AppBrowser and save it to tce/optional as OnDemand (I'm assuming that using the function "ab" from the terminal will work the same)
2) Enter the app name at the terminal prompt to run the app
Note: this works, the app runs

So, to me it seems that Process 1 and Process 2 are somewhat similar yet one works and the other doesn't. Would you happen to know why?

Thanks!

Offline tinypoodle

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 08:41:11 PM »
Hi rizzim3
I allways use appbrowser so I can't answer why process 1 did not work. For now I'd recommend
you follow the instructions in the above link until you get more comfortable with linux. Feel free
to install apps to try them out. If you don't like an app you can remove it using AppsAudit in the
ControlPanel. Like I said, that horror show known as the registry does not exist. At worst, the
uninstall may remove a file that another app needs, if that happens just start another thread and
someone will help you out. In the mean time just play a little and enjoy.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:26:25 AM by Rich »

Offline rizzim3

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 08:58:25 PM »
tinypoodle:
Thanks for the link. I just tried the tce-run feature and it worked. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Is there a link to all the terminal commands (not just for the typical system commands but things like tce-run, ab, etc)? I would like to read up on them.

Rich:
I'm really enjoying my time learning about Linux and testing things out with TC. TC is great! Thanks for all your suggestions

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
Hi rizzim3
A lot of the commands are supplied by busybox. Open a terminal and type busybox. It will
spit out a list of all of it's commands. Then ask Google, ex: "linux ls" to find out about the ls
command. Typing a command followed by --help ex: "cp --help" will give you some info
about the command. The commands supplied by busybox are stripped down versions so
some features you find with google won't exist.

Offline rizzim3

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 09:29:27 PM »
Rich:
Thanks for the info. Will check it out.