WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: python.tczl  (Read 8679 times)

Offline jls

python.tczl
« on: March 26, 2009, 03:08:42 AM »
I've packaged an extension calledd nicotine that has no problems with python.tcel, but doesn't work with python.tczl
dCore user

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: python.tczl
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 03:34:40 AM »
I'll look into it tonight.

Offline blinkkin

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:20:32 AM »
I've packaged an extension calledd nicotine that has no problems with python.tcel, but doesn't work with python.tczl

I compiled Mercurial using python.tcel. Problems occured when I switched back to python.tczl - no luck with that. There is something wrong with that extension.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:29:03 AM »
Some tcz's work just fine as a direct conversion from a tce.  This one is one of the exceptions evidently.  Sometimes some of the files in an extension must be "real" files and not symlinks, often due to the difference in the present working directory.  Like for example /usr/local/bin/script which is a symlink to /tmp/tcloop/appname/usr/local/bin/script.  If that script uses `pwd`, then it may get it's wires crossed.  That 's when a user.tar.gz is needed containing real files.

There are other reasons too that may cause a tcz to fail.  I will examine this one and perhaps include the files that must exist as real ones in a user.tar.gz if that is what is causing the problem.

Thanks for finding this issue, hopefully will solve it tonight.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 11:14:52 AM »
One quick question, did you guys have python-devs.tcz or python-minimal.tcz at the time you installed python.tczl?  Or just python.tczl alone? 

Offline blinkkin

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 12:55:35 PM »
One quick question, did you guys have python-devs.tcz or python-minimal.tcz at the time you installed python.tczl?  Or just python.tczl alone? 

Probably python.tczl + python-devs.tcz, but I'm not sure. I'll check it at home - maybe tonight.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 01:17:40 PM »
Try and see only having python.tczl works without the -devs extension installed.  I will try it tonight as well.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 05:52:16 PM »
We have a couple of issues here that is very well affecting nicotine running. 

First, I see that nicotine and pygtk and it's deps were built against the testing versions of cairo, atk, gtk and pango.  That will break the system if it is running the standard gtk+-2.tcel already.  That is my fault, I should have not put them up until I tested them myself and replaced the existing gtk+-2 extension.  The newer gtk stack requires an updated pixman which will happen in the near future as it is also waiting on some other changes.  Sorry for the confusion. 

Second, if you invoke the tcz version of python from the command line and give these two commands you will see that the python search paths are wrong when it is searching for modules.  Since the python binary itself resides in /tmp/tcloop/usr/local/bin it's search path is /tmp/tcloop/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages, as well as other directories starting in /tmp/tcloop/usr/local instead of /usr/local.  I think there is a fix for that, I have been looking at how Gobolinux does it as well as there may be a compile time option to change that.  So python.tczl is broken indeed.  I will work on a fix.  Simply moving the python binary itself into /usr/local/bin and leaving the rest as symlinks works, but maybe there is a way for it all to exist as a tcz.

For now, let's only build against the current gtk+-2 extension and not the testing ones.  I will try to find a resolution to that soon.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 08:04:33 PM »
A simple change to site.py has enable a python.tczl without placing files in a user.tar.gz.  Modules must be placed in /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages which is the default install location.  Nicotine works now with python.tczl.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »
I'd been wondering why the hp-* commands in hplip wouldn't work when all the extensions were tcz...

I uninstalled the original python.tczl extension and installed the new one, but the error persists - basically that the hp-* commands cannot load /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cup.t.so

I uninstalled the new python.tczl and installed python.tcel and things work again - all the other extensions remaining as tcz.

Perhaps the error is due in part to python_dbus.tczl or something like that - I'll continue to look.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »
What I basically did is add /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages to the module path, as without that the python paths are preceded by /tmp/tcloop which is where the actual python binary is located.  I was hoping that adding /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages would fix that.  Hopefully we can work it out.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 09:51:13 PM »
The hp-* commands work here with everything as tcz, no errors finding modules or libs. 

hp-align, hp-check, hp-clean, hp-colorcal,  hp-devicesetup worked, and I stopped after that.

Oh, and also remember the bug that is being discussed in the dev area that would prevent python and python-dbus from both being loaded successfully.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 08:42:07 AM »
Python in the tcz format is still not working due to incorrect python paths.  I will work on it and hopefully fix it shortly.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 09:52:56 AM »
Moving the binaries in /usr/local/bin into a user.tar.gz worked.  That set the correct paths.  It is fixed and I will also fix python-minimal.tczl.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 08:30:47 PM »
Did you post the latest python.tczl with the binaries in user.tar.gz?