WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCore Linux Rules !  (Read 2608 times)

Offline remus

TinyCore Linux Rules !
« on: March 16, 2011, 07:12:39 PM »
Hi guys,

I've just found tinycore linux while trying to find an os that would run as a print server on an old P2 333mhz pc with 128mb of ram and only a 3gb drive.

I was very surprised to see that a tiny 10mb boot disc got me into a gui with enough basic tools to build a custom system !!!

Tinycore linux is a bit similar to something else i've been looking at called devil-linux.

10MB, amazing :)
Live long and prosper.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: TinyCore Linux Rules !
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »
Hi remus
I was looking at Devil-Linux a couple of years ago to use as a file server on a Pentium MMX 233Mhz
with 256Mb RAM and 320 Gb drive. If I remember correctly I gave up on it because they had some
security features compiled into the kernel that kept getting in my way. Lucky for me I found Tinycore
and the machine has run perfectly for the last two years.

Offline remus

Re: TinyCore Linux Rules !
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:11:42 PM »
I have a crack at devil linux every few weeks to see if I can wrap my head around it, I think the main problem is my lack of linux leetness. Devil linux is a great distro, and seems to work on similar concepts as tinycore.

Once i have documented all the things I have to do to get a print server working in tinycore, i'm going to start on micro core, which should be a bit faster
Live long and prosper.