WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Virtual Machines on Tiny Core  (Read 5205 times)

Offline sky

Virtual Machines on Tiny Core
« on: February 26, 2011, 09:46:50 AM »
Hi,

I'm new to Tiny Core, new to dd commands, new to vi, etc. I installed TC on a logical Partition alongside Freedos and Lubuntu. Now every function which I need is working in TC (Midori, xonclock, persistency, ...). Thanks to the good short howtos, wiki and this forum.

But one topic I'm missing: "Virtual Machines on Tiny Core".  I installed qemu and kvm via AppBrowser (as ondemand). Downloaded the sample image linux-0.2.img from the qemu-website. After that I tried "qemu linux-0.2.img" and got nothing. No response, no error message.  I tried "qemu --help" / "qemu -h", because this my first step, when I don't know what to do. But again no response.

Could somebody, with deeper technical knowledge than me, please write a short howto in the style of the other howtos and publish it for the community. Or could someone give me instructions how to load a virtual machine inside TC - but that would only help my and not improve the wiki.

Best regards

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Virtual Machines on Tiny Core
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »
What I usually do to test a live cd:

qemu -cdrom /path/to/tinycore.iso

Running a VM on TC doesn't differ from other distros really, but I do load qemu onboot, perhaps there's some interaction with the ondemand script here.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 10:11:25 AM »
OK, tried it out. Since Qemu doesn't have a menu item, its binary is not recognized by the ondemand setup script, and so the first invocation only loads the qemu extension, without launching the binary.

After this you have the real qemu binary available, but the current shell doesn't find it, since it has the previous location in cache. You can either invoke qemu with full path, invalidate the cache (hash -r), or start a new shell.

On a side note, you shouldn't load kvm as ondemand, because it isn't a dep and thus loaded automatically. As long as it's ondemand, you'll need to manually load it.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline sky

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 10:56:49 AM »
Thanks for your help.

by following your instructions it was very easy :-) I set following to "onboot" via "AppsAudit": qemu, qemu-extra and "kvm...". I was afraid of this "onboot" option, because I thought that then the programs would be executed. But your repsonse made clear that it ensures that the binary code is loaded and doesn't open a qemu shell.

Best regards.