WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How do I ssh -XC with dropbear to forward X11 securely (and conveniently)  (Read 8913 times)

Offline phh

I would like to use Tiny Core as a simple xserver.

With other linux machines I often use OpenSSH client/server to securely forward X with compression. I am wondering how to use the Dropbear client to connect to an OpenSSH server to acheive the same effect?

I would typically connect to the remote machine using the openssh client:

ssh -XC username@remotemachinename

then run xcalc for example

xcalc &

Then I would have an instance of xcalc running on the remote machine (running openssh server) but being forwarded back to the machine I am connecting from (hopefully the machine running tinycore). OpenSSH makes forwarding X so easy. Am I missing something with Dropbear?

If it is not possible, is anyone aware of an openssh client package for Tiny Core?

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
dropbear does not support X forwarding.

I am trying to compile something that does.

Edit: Posting with Iceweasel on Debian from Tiny Core via OpenSSH X11 forwarding.
Just a couple of glitches still to work out in the configurations.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 09:53:51 PM by softwaregurl »
Old wounds that have never healed need to be re-exposed before the cure can be applied.  The cure must be available before the wound is re-exposed.

Offline philip

Have you considered using vnc to view your X applications? dropbear tunnels vnc just fine, and this combo is fater than ssh -XC. Various vnc packages are available for TC: I use realvnc-4.1.1.tcel with good results.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Seems only the dropbear server supports X forwarding. I wonder why they haven't implemented it in the client.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline oldtimer

Dropbear was intended for embedded applications - such as a router.  No local monitor, graphics card and xserver means no x11 forwarding to the embedded ssh client.  The router could have x11 client apps. and Dropbear server is capable of x11 forwarding to an OpenSSH client.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 06:21:30 PM by oldtimer »