WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: HOWTO: Install a Elo Touchscreen USB  (Read 18492 times)

Offline malloc69

HOWTO: Install a Elo Touchscreen USB
« on: February 14, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
Howto install a Elo ET1537L-7CWA-1-NPB-G (touchscreen) in tinycore.

install these extensions:

Xorg-7.5.tcz
joystick.tcz

Make the file xorg.conf:

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.vesa /etc/X11/xorg.conf

edit the file:

--------- fichero: /etc/X11/xorg.conf ------------

Section "ServerLayaout"
   InputDevice "EloTouch" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier "EloTouch"
  Driver "evdev"
  Option "Device"            "/dev/input/event4"     # put your device here
  Option "Calibration"       "550 3500 650 3400"     # "min-x max-x min-y max-y"
  Option "IgnoreRelativeAxes "1"
  Option "InvertY"           "1"
EndSection

----------------------------------------------------

add the file xorg.cong to the file /opt/.filetool.lst:

etc/X11/xorg.conf       # without the first /

Reboot the system using backup

----===== HOWTO CALIBRATE THE TOUCHSCREEN =====----

We can use the program "evtest" from que extension joystick.tcz to calibrate the touchscreen:

Step 1. -> Load the extension: tce-load -i joystick.tcz   

Step 2. -> Run: sudo evtest /dev/input/event4     # put your devide here

Using X and Y values to assign to the Option "Calibration" of the xorg.conf file.

I hope this can be useful for someone.

Offline brian-au

Re: HOWTO: Install a Elo Touchscreen USB
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 02:16:49 AM »
Hi all,

First post here, sorry if too nooby...

Looking at the above solution, I have just installed tinycore today, we are up to 7.7 now and joystick.tcz no longer presents in the apps list...so I'm wondering if there is a new method now (since xorg.conf seems to be on the way out)?

I have my touch connected and providing events to the screen, but it needs calibrating and some axis swapping.  udev rules seem to be the new way to get this job done, but I can't seem to get xinput_calibrator to work and don't know how to load a new udev rule properly so that it will get reloaded at new boot time.

Appreciate if anyone can offer advice.  I thought it good to post as a reply here since this post is exactly the problem but the solution seems out of date, others may land here looking for solution to the same.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 02:51:55 AM »
Do you perhaps need to adjust this section in /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf :
Code: [Select]
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev touchscreen catchall"
        MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Offline brian-au

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »

I have my touch connected and providing events to the screen, but it needs calibrating and some axis swapping.

Sorry if the question was not clear, the touchscreen has connected with evdev out of the box without any messing about.  It "works" but I need to calibrate it.

Can I put static calibration numbers into that 10-evdev.conf file?

edit: more googling suggests that I can configure via this file, I will test and comment later
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 03:55:53 PM by brian-au »

Offline brian-au

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 01:14:10 AM »
Do you perhaps need to adjust this section in /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf :

That file does not exist on my tc system, do I guess correct that I will need to install Xorg.tcz first?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 03:16:01 AM »
you can find which extension contains which file by using the "provides" function of the apps gui.

That particular file is provided by xf86-input-evdev

Offline brian-au

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 09:56:59 PM »
I can't see the "provides" feature in the apps gui, is it buried in sub-menus?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »
The Search/Provides/Tags tab.

Offline brian-au

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 06:28:05 AM »
you can find which extension contains which file by using the "provides" function of the apps gui.

That particular file is provided by xf86-input-evdev

Not so...now that I have been told where to find "provides", I am told that it's part of xorg-server.

xorg-server does not show Xorg as a dependency, I loaded xorg-server and now I don't have a GUI any more...how to undo now from text mode to try again?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 07:25:20 AM »
You have it backwards.
xorg-server.tcz is a dep of Xorg-7.7.tcz.

Which X server were you using?
Xvesa?
Xorg-7.7?
Xfbdev?

If you were running Xorg-7.7, installing xorg-server would not have caused a problem, as it is one of Xorg's dependencies.
You can manually edit the etc/onboot.lst file if you really need to.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline brian-au

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 08:00:16 AM »
You have it backwards.
xorg-server.tcz is a dep of Xorg-7.7.tcz.
I'm just learning. 
When you say "is a dep of" do you mean "1 dependent on 2" or "1 dependency of 2" (which one requires the other?)

I'm looking for 10-evdev-rules.conf, an earlier reply said it was part of evdev-input and claimed "provides" says that, but I said no...provides tells me it's in xorg-server, and xorg-server pulled in a few deps BUT DID NOT PULL in Xorg!

Which X server were you using?
Xvesa?
Xorg-7.7?
Xfbdev?

If you were running Xorg-7.7, installing xorg-server would not have caused a problem, as it is one of Xorg's dependencies.
You can manually edit the etc/onboot.lst file if you really need to.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

As far as I can tell, from the stock ISO I have xvesa, but I _think_ that in order to use xinput/xset arguments to manually calibrate my touchscreen that I need Xorg?  I am not clear from reading and searching how to make that switch (I'm sure it's here somewhere), and is it only either/or? or does Xorg load over the top of xvesa?

I'm looking at manual editing and manual wgets now, because tc is only booting to text prompt as it stands.  The repo was 'down' a few hours ago so I will be trying tomorrow my time to sort this out.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 08:07:04 AM »
run 'tce-load -iw Xorg-7.7"
Then edit your onboot.lst and remove the Xvesa.tcz line.
Then reboot

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 09:44:40 AM »
I'm looking for 10-evdev-rules.conf, an earlier reply said it was part of evdev-input and claimed "provides" says that, but I said no...provides tells me it's in xorg-server

I actually replied from memory, but at least you know how to do it properly now  ;)

Offline brian-au

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 11:54:25 PM »
run 'tce-load -iw Xorg-7.7"
Then edit your onboot.lst and remove the Xvesa.tcz line.
Then reboot
What I seemed to have to do after the install was do a startx from home/tc, then do maintenance on the onboot system to add in Xorg-7.7, then backup, then reboot. 

When I tried reboot after install from text with tce-load, it rebooted back to text and not into X.  Does that make any sense?

I'm looking for 10-evdev-rules.conf, an earlier reply said it was part of evdev-input and claimed "provides" says that, but I said no...provides tells me it's in xorg-server

I actually replied from memory, but at least you know how to do it properly now  ;)

I tried to edit the 10-evdev.conf file after getting Xorg installed, and it says read-only, even logged in as sudo and from the live location or the tmp/tcloop location that links over to /usr/local/share....but in any case, with the new extension xinput-calibrator.tcz that Juanito built for us all today, I created a new 99-calibration.conf file to hold the touchscreen calibration data, and added that new conf file to the backup list.

But just to close-out the original enquiry, is the 10-evdev.conf file meant to be editable or is it system locked?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:12:58 AM by brian-au »

Offline brian-au

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 12:10:53 AM »
SOLUTION for ELO touchscreen on tinycore linux

Start off with a mouse plugged in as well, you'll need it at least to get going...

remove Xvesa and add Xorg,
OR start with frugal/text and go straight to Xorg without Xvesa

dmesg | less
/ (find) ELO <Enter>, or > (go to end) and arrow up to check that the screen is being recognised by evdev

add the extension xinput-calibrator-tcz, this should add the calibration program onto wbar

Run the calibration tool, screen should dynamically recalibrate so you can test it live before making the permanent conf file

Take note of the terminal output from xinput-calibrator

Create a new file as instructed 99-calibration.conf, at /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (same place as 10-evdev.conf)
I used vi for this (in a separate terminal), press 'i' key to insert in the new file, scrape mouse over the output snippet from xinput-calibrator, leave it highlighted, then click back inside the vi window and press shift+insert to paste.  Careful of the word-wrap in output from xinput-calibrator, I had to touch up the Match line by removing a bunch of extra spaces

type
esc
:
wq <Enter>
ls -l to check it's there, and cat the new 99 file to verify the contents.

Add a new backup rule (control panel), and include this new 99 file in the list of things to be backed up

Reboot and test

Hope it works for you too.