Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

Pasting to terminals

(1/2) > >>

tinypoodle:
[This thread split off from http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=8650.msg46892#msg46892]

--- Quote from: hiro on February 09, 2011, 04:46:21 AM ------snip---

An other thing about aterm makes me angry a lot: copy'n'paste over multiple lines copies the whole width's white spaces at the end of the line instead of just the new line char.

--- End quote ---

Such can be annoying indeed. In other cases, each line might be interpreted as a separate command, and falling back to prompt in between pasted lines can then happen.

However, I would be reluctant to blame aterm on such for more than one reason:

Upon

--- Code: ---cat > test
--- End code ---
in an aterm and then pasting test (after having hit "Enter") and then ^C out, the pasted text seems to look verbatim in file.

Are there any terminal emulators known with a different behaviour?

I did some comparison with gpm on VTs and couldn't find any notible differences in behavior.

hiro:
It often happens here when I snarf text from vi.
I can reproduce it, but not always. I'm still wondering where it might come from...

Guy:

--- Quote ---copy'n'paste over multiple lines copies the whole width's white spaces at the end of the line instead of just the new line char.
--- End quote ---

I don't know for sure, but I have always assumed, it is just the way it is displayed on the screen.

You will probably find, it is actually just copying the new line character, just that it is displayed that way so you know when you are including the new line character.

hiro:
I agree it's not aterm. It's probably vi's fault...
Guy, I don't think so. But I'm not sure I understood you correctly.

Guy:
If you copy from the editor, or leafpad, the same thing happens. You can try other text editors.

If you change the width of the window, the space to the end of the line is highlighted, no matter how wide the window is.

As I said, I think it is just the way it is displayed on the screen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version