WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: micro core basic startup  (Read 10787 times)

Offline ygallup

micro core basic startup
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:51:29 AM »
I know pretty much nothing about linux, but I thought it would be a fun project to install a CLI distribution of linux on a USB thumb drive any way when I start up I get a prompt like: tc@box:~$, which, since I know absolutely nothing, looks like the input prompt for a terminal console. The only problem is that it will not accept some command such as "man" pages, or "shutdown". I am not sure if this is just me being stupid and doing something wrong, or if these command just aren't part of micro core. Also when I type exit I get a prompt that says:
Micro Core Linux
box login:
I'm pretty sure that this is what is supposed to happen, but I have no idea what to do.
thanks in advance, I hope my question is not to stupid to be bothered with

Offline tinypoodle

Re: micro core basic startup
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:07:43 AM »
'man' is not included in base, would require extension(s), you could always try 'command --help'.

Try:
Code: [Select]
/etc/init.d/rc.shutdown
Hint: to see available commands, double press "Tab".

'exit' will exit the shell and then let's you log in again   ;)

You can just type 'tc' and hit "Enter"

Some commands will reuqire to be executed as superuser: 'sudo command'

HTH
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:09:44 AM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 07:13:05 AM »
Man pages for each application are typically bundled with that application. You execute "sudo poweroff" to shutdown and "sudo reboot" to reboot. Tiny Core will auto-login the first time it boots up. If you exit, you login again by entering "tc" at the login prompt. No password is required.

The Linux Command Directory and Linux man pages are invaluable resources. Since most of the built-in commands are based on busybox, The Busybox Command Help is very useful also.

Offline hiro

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:32:58 PM »
Some apps used to include man pages, others are accompanied by special -doc extensions you have to install separately. Sorry about that.

Offline hiro

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 05:36:03 PM »
Install man.tcz for the man page viewer, man-pages.tcz for core man pages and for a lot of extensions take the corresponding -doc.tcz

But beware, tools like tce-load or appbrowser don't have man pages IIRC. Tinycore is not debian.