WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Fail to set up Swedish kmap persistent.  (Read 6092 times)

Offline newbody

Fail to set up Swedish kmap persistent.
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:01:57 AM »
I tested to follow the description again and now I have the one from Finland going again. Such a pain spending this many hours just to get the åäö chars right.

I still fail to get a AltGr which I did have just a few hours ago. Have no idea how that happen. Now I am back in Finland keyboard though which luckily have enough of what I am used to.

Okay Firefox works and getflash10 works and iptables as far as I know works too.
So that is some comfort.

But NTFS-3g fails. I want to play my music on the HDD. Where is the description how to accomplish this as easy as possible?

I have been at this for some 5 hours so have failed and failed and failed and makes more and more mistakes obviously. Phew
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:16:14 AM by newbody »
Acer D250, Snow Puppy, TinyCore and on HP SR5622, Snow Puppy,

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Fail to set up Swedish kmap persistent.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:22:21 AM »
Have you read the FAQ? There's an entry just about the altgr keys with Xvesa.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline newbody

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:29:33 AM »
Thanks I did not know it was related to xvesa even. I am a newbie. So altgr and xvesa will find that text? I give it a try

You refer to this text?

If the altgr symbols do not work in the browser or openoffice then modify the .xsession file by adding:

sleep 3 && xmodmap -e "clear Mod4" -e "add Mod5 = Mode_switch" &

Just before

exec "${DESKTOP:=jwm}"

Or, in later versions, right after waitforX.

Do I have a later version most likely then this being teh current

I should open Editor and the file .xsessions file and add sleep 3 && xmodmap -e "clear Mod4" -e "add Mod5 = Mode_switch" &
 right after waitforX

Right on that did work.

Now I only need to learn how to activate that ntfs-3g thing I downloaded. I've read and read and seems not so easy is it?

Don't you guys have NTFS HDD on many of your computers?

And if you visit a neighbor he certainly very often have only MsWindows on his gear so to help him save the files it is of great help to let him see which one to save.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:40:55 AM by newbody »

Offline Guy

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »
Do you have ntfs-3g in OnBoot?
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline newbody

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »
Guy how do I know if I have it in onboot?

I trust that I used onboot when I did download it but how does one check after that?

I usually go to appbrowser adn then look in local is that what you refers to? I have the Gpicview there and Firefox and gcheeky something and kmaps and iptables and so on.

So hopefully that is what you talk about but I take a look I am in puppy now so I reboot into the usb instead. And try to see if I have a onboot folder or something. Thanks for wanting to help me.

I've come rather far for being me. But I started at 7 AM and now it is 7PM so it is a slow process to get around doing things.

Edit I am in TCL now but lost swedish again despite me doing backup. So this is much more difficult than what I expected .

Okay Now I look in appbrowser for that ntfs-3g thing.

It says this when I load it.

/mnt/sdb1/boot/TinyCore/optional/ntfs-3g is already installed!

So have no idea if it is in onboot, it is in local is that same as onboot?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:38:57 AM by newbody »

Offline Guy

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 11:10:51 AM »
Open Apps Audit, Click OnBoot, then Maintenance.

Those on the right side, are in OnBoot. If what you want is not there, click on it in the left side.

Offline newbody

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 11:18:41 AM »
I finally got Swedish åäö now. Was the most difficult thing me have tried in many monthes. :) Took me some 12 hours?

I did not understand your advice about the maintenance thing. all of it looks okay for me.
The ntfs-3g is there in onboot what am I supposed to do next?

I must have given wrong code in menu.lst because it give an error message but too fast to noiced what it says but something that it ignore the request to do persistence.  

title TinyCore 3.4.1
find --set-root /boot/tinycore.gz
kernel /boot/bzImage waitusb=6 tce=sdb1/boot/TinyCore home=tce showapps dmraid=on kmap=qwerty/fi-latin9
initrd /boot/tinycore.gz

What should I change there so I get persistence?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:29:28 AM by newbody »

Offline Guy

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
If you install it using the HD/USB Install, everything should just work.

You can add additional things, like your keyboard.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 12:48:27 PM »
I must have given wrong code in menu.lst because it give an error message but too fast to noiced what it says but something that it ignore the request to do persistence. 

title TinyCore 3.4.1
find --set-root /boot/tinycore.gz
kernel /boot/bzImage waitusb=6 tce=sdb1/boot/TinyCore home=tce showapps dmraid=on kmap=qwerty/fi-latin9
initrd /boot/tinycore.gz

What should I change there so I get persistence?

please read
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=8619.msg46673#msg46673
again.
Having /home scattered on NTFS is looking for trouble.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline newbody

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 01:24:20 PM »
Tinypoodle, but now I am using TCL current installed on a USB formatted to FAT32 and that works for TCL as far as I know?

I am not on NTFS at all. Where did you get that idea?

In the tread you referred to was about a remix and I am not using that one at all now because I was told to use official TCL instead for to be able to ask here in the main part of the forum.

so why do you drag up that old thread now?

I do back up now what code in teh menu.lst should I use for to get persistence on Fat32?

You link was not on my level of getting such from your text there. Too technical or grammatically abstract.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 01:49:49 PM »
Regarding FAT32, I have already clarified here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=8619.msg46675#msg46675
in every detail.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline newbody

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 02:25:54 PM »
You seem to mix up a lot of things due to not thoroughly reading basic documentation first...

1. Frugal installs are supported out of the box on FAT* and ext* filesystems.
That is a choice of the developers made about specific filesystems, not at all about a linux partition or not, as neither FAT* are linux filesystems nor are any UNIX /Linux filesystems beyond ext* supported.

2. A UNIX filesystem would be required for any - even partial - "hybrid" type install approach (scatter mode), and that is not particular to TC in the slightest, but is valid for any Linux system.

"You seem to mix up a lot of things due to not thoroughly reading basic documentation first..."

My English and my ability to grasp your intention with that text is way above my level of experience on what you talk about. But now after reading your request several times I suddenly guessed that what you say is that it can boot but not use it for saving. So I should make a ext2 for to be able to save on it from TCE. The reason me did not make ext2 was that I plan to ahve NTFS-3g which puppy use and one save in a Squash file so no need to have it in Ext2 or 3. Knoppix save that way too. So TCL should also be able to?

Your text are written on a too abstract level for some one on my level to grasp.

Fat32 allow me to boot a Linux but Fat32 don't allow TCE to use the boot codes that I used. That I mixed up these two things as you say.
Have I  finally get what you tried to say?

I give it a try tomorrow. Some 12 hour from now.

Offline Guy

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »
I repeat:

If you install it using the HD/USB Install, everything should just work.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 03:52:35 PM »
But now after reading your request several times I suddenly guessed that what you say is that it can boot but not use it for saving.

That is more or less correct.
For booting, PPR (tce= ) and to save/restore backup; but not for any other way to save scattered files, e.g. home=.

So I should make a ext2 for to be able to save on it from TCE.

No such need to save extensions and backup, unless you insist on saving scattered files.

The reason me did not make ext2 was that I plan to ahve NTFS-3g which puppy use and one save in a Squash file so no need to have it in Ext2 or 3. Knoppix save that way too. So TCL should also be able to?

1. Puppy may have a capability to use NTFS, but such is certainly not a requirement.
2. AFAIK, Puppy is creating persistence in frugal install mode with a ext2/3 loop file, so it still uses a Linux filesystem, even if that is located on top of a non-native filesystem. I could imagine that Knoppix could have a similar approach.
AFAIK a loop file used to be supported by TC, but it escapes me if that is still the case currently, someone else might know.

Fat32 allow me to boot a Linux but Fat32 don't allow TCE to use the boot codes that I used. That I mixed up these two things as you say.
Have I  finally get what you tried to say?

Yes, any frugal Linux install can be booted from FAT32, but files can not be stored directly on FAT*, which those boot codes would do.

I wonder why you do not just use the default mode with backup/restore and PPR (tce=) as described in documentation; that works perfectly well to achieve persistence with one single FAT* filesystem.

Offline newbody

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 02:14:03 AM »
TinyPoodle wrote:

Some Other Linux" are... creating persistence in frugal install mode with a ext2/3 loop file, so it still uses a Linux filesystem, even if that is located on top of a non-native filesystem. I could imagine that Knoppix could have a similar approach.
AFAIK a loop file used to be supported by TC, but it escapes me if that is still the case currently, someone else might know.

That is how I remember that Puppy and Knoppix and a few more. Nimblex, Vector, maybe Slitas?

Yes I had TCL 2.7 something working for me one year ago and that was also on a NTFS and it was no remix or anything. Standard official TCL.

So it used to work? Unless I fail to remember. The Fan is acting up on that computer so I will not use it. Gets too hot.

This PPR? Using tce=sdb1 or similar code? I should read up some FAQ or wiki on that one then?
How I can activate it? But maybe TCL 2.7 and 3.4 are so different from each other that they fail to use from each others tcz files?  I saw some files that simply failed to get used. Don't remember what name but nothing did happen when I tried to activate them. Maybe they work only in one year old versions then?