WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: skype on the olpc xo  (Read 4835 times)

Offline rbacher

skype on the olpc xo
« on: February 05, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »
I just got skype working on the olpc xo so I thought I'd report it in case anyone else is thinking about doing it. Some other posts made references to it being difficult to set up, but I didn't have much problem.  There are basically two steps: (1) download the Static version of Skype for Linux from the Skype website and unpack it with tar. It's not a tcz file, of course, being on the Skype website (to my knowledge no one has written a tcz file for Skype). Then (2) download alsa.tcz with tce-load. I was surprised that it was this easy. I did hit a few snags (mostly involving missing dependencies, I think) but after some tinkering I got everything working and now I have Skype on an olpc xo with microcore as the OS.

Offline floppy

Re: skype on the olpc xo
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 03:22:06 AM »
Installing Skype on my old PC is on my "opentopiclist". According different reading I had here, a bit work has to be done.
So far I understood in your case:
- you made a skype.tcz
- you use the existing alsa.tcz
Could you post your skype.tcz or mail it to me? (so, I can re-use it immediatly)
Thanks.
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline rbacher

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 09:40:42 AM »
No, I didn't make a skype.tcz. I don't know how to make a tcz file. I downloaded the Static version of Skype for Linux from their website. It is a tar.bz2 file. After I downloaded it, I unpacked it with sudo tar -xjvf. The files are unpacked into a new directory that is created. Then go to that directory and start skype with ./skype.

Offline labeas

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 02:00:41 PM »
Hi,
what window manager does \OLPC use?
How much RAM got?
What's battery life duration?
 == TIA