WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: wicd dependency python-2.6  (Read 4855 times)

Offline hiro

wicd dependency python-2.6
« on: January 24, 2011, 03:37:41 PM »
If you have both python.tcz and python-2.6.tcz installed wicd doesn't choose the right one because of some strange startup script.

This might fix it:
sudo sed -i s/python/python2.6/ `which wicd`

Offline hiro

Re: wicd dependency python-2.6
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 03:39:06 PM »
But at least wicd-curses will still not work after this I think. I'm not sure how this is supposed to work properly and I wonder why noone else saw this problem...

Offline hiro

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 07:40:27 AM »
Ok, I have python2.6 and python2.7 installed, I changed the startup scripts for wicd-start and wicd-curses to call python2.6 and everything works now. Shall I resubmit the package with the fix included?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:24:22 PM »
If it is working, great.  We can give bmarkus a chance to either incorporate this or another fix, or to provide an update, or to give the ok for you to submit.

Offline jls

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 11:31:44 PM »
if some extension is improved must be submitted, nobody cares bmarcus
dCore user

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 01:06:33 AM »
if some extension is improved must be submitted, nobody cares bmarcus

What? As usual, I do not understand what are you saying :(
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 02:18:24 AM »
It is protocol to contact the original extension maker before sending in a corrected extension.

As a general note to anyone not yet familiar, please do that before sending in submissions. 

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 07:05:53 PM »
bmarkus -   Is it ok for hiro to submit the update, or would you like to fix it?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:36:08 PM »
bmarkus -   Is it ok for hiro to submit the update, or would you like to fix it?

Fine, I hand over WiCD package mainenance to Hiro and stop my side.

Béla

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 02:21:57 AM »
Hmm.  I don't understand why expecting a broken extension to be fixed would be a problem.  And I even intervened on your behalf to prevent someone else from fixing it before you had a chance to either fix it, update it, or provide any other solution at your discretion.

In two days after I stepped in you did not state any plans to address the issue nor that it was ok for someone else to submit a simple fix, so I simply asked what you would like to happen.  Again, sustaining your right to have the say in what happens.  

But a broken extension needs to be fixed or eventually removed if there is no way to repair it or update it.  We do all we can to protect the extension makers rights, but we also have the integrity of the repo to consider.    

I think that two days is enough time to allow an active extension maker to decide on plans to fix or update an extension or to state their preference of action.  And the original post about this problem was made on Jan 24.  But I guess for formality's sake we can officially make the time frame one week before we get involved after an attempt to resolve an extension issue whether the original extension maker is active or inactive.  Though ironically my involvement was to simply protect the original extension maker's rights, and it had been over a week since the issue was made known. 

So I will give it until the end of the week for you to decide on a course of action for wicd.  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:24:02 AM by Jason W »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 02:56:24 AM »
Dear Jason, whom your post is addressed to? I don not understand it. Anyhow, there was a simple question

and a simple answer

Fine, I hand over WiCD package mainenance to Hiro and stop my side.

Lets repeat. As I see there is a willing community member who is ready to fix it and I'm happy to let him continue passing over the extension maintenance (fix bugs, publish new versions, etc.) and to focus on other projects..

Sorry if I misunderstand, as you know, I'm not a nativ English nor American.

:)

Keep It Simple and Smile
Béla

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 03:19:24 AM »
Ok, sorry, I had mistaken your statement as frustration. 

And I also agree with the Keep It Simple and Smile, for this should above all be an enjoyable experience or there is little point in it.

Thanks.

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 08:48:47 AM »
in my point of view there are three solutions available for wicd
1-) update to 1.7.1b2 (includes python 2.7 patch) (it has been promised to be released in a few weeks but has not been released since 3 or 4 months)
2-) or apply a patch from other distros which have already migrated to python 2.7
3-) or checkout developers trunk repository

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 01:38:25 PM »
BTW before the Python 2.7 issue occured I planned to split up WICD to two extensions, wicd-cli.tcz which has basic components and CLI progs working on Micro Core and wicd-gui.tcz which together with wicd-cli.tcz gives the full package on Tiny Core. Waiting for a new WICD version I postponed this separation till the new version. Maybe this can be done now.

Regarding other distros, I checked latest ZENWALK BETA. It comes with Python 2.6 and unpatched WICD.

Béla

Offline hiro

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »
I also don't know the reasons or details for having to use python 2.6 and 2.7 coexisting at all, but I hope upcoming transitions will be smoother.
The fix to make this work is described in the first post, although it should be applied to all wicd-scripts, not only `which wicd`. Fixing the package is trivial to all of us, so it shouldn't really matter, but I'd like to ask bmarkus to take over that task. The other plans for the future seem OK to me, too.
Thanks