WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: New Linux distro: Swift Linux 0.0.3 now available  (Read 6434 times)

Offline swiftlinuxcreator

New Linux distro: Swift Linux 0.0.3 now available
« on: January 22, 2011, 11:12:44 AM »
Swift Linux 0.0.3 is now available at http://www.swiftlinux.org .  Swift Linux is based on the full version of antiX Linux for the 686 processor.  Swift Linux is a very lightweight AND user-friendly distro that uses the large Debian repository.  Other distros can compete with Swift Linux on one or even two of these criteria, but NONE can compete with Swift Linux on all three.

There are two main editions, Diet Swift Linux and Swift Linux.  Diet Swift Linux has neither OpenOffice nor extra forensic/rescue/recovery programs.  The forensic/rescue/recovery programs of Forensic Swift Linux have now been added to regular Swift Linux.

There are now four special editions of Swift Linux: Taylor Swift Linux, iCarly Swift Linux, Magnum P.I. Swift Linux, and NASCAR Swift Linux.  All special editions are regular Swift Linux with special wallpaper and a special audio clip that plays when you boot up.  There is NO official status whatsoever.  Thus, these special editions are just marketing gimmicks to promote Linux.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: New Linux distro: Swift Linux 0.0.3 now available
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:34:55 PM »

There are two main editions, Diet Swift Linux and Swift Linux.  Diet Swift Linux has neither OpenOffice nor extra forensic/rescue/recovery programs.  The forensic/rescue/recovery programs of Forensic Swift Linux have now been added to regular Swift Linux.

Diet? 471 Mbyte ISO file. Great. What the Hell this promotion is here even in the OT corner? Do not see any unique or .y new feature, solution. This is a poor commercial.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 03:11:59 PM »
Diet? 471 Mbyte ISO file. Great. What the Hell this promotion is here even in the OT corner? Do not see any unique or .y new feature, solution. This is a poor commercial.

Someone had to say it...   :P
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 03:14:45 PM »
I would be happy with the NASCAR version I guess, but I would like to go ahead and put in my vote for a Dukes of Hazzard Swift Linux.  I want to hear the horn honk when I boot to the desktop.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 03:29:41 PM »
Swift Linux is based on antiX Linux and only requires 128 MB of RAM and a Pentium 2 or newer processor (competitive with Puppy Linux).  Thus, Swift Linux works on computers as old as the Windows 98 era.

Swift Linux is fully competitive with the Debian repository, which has over 20,000 packages.

Regular Swift Linux includes OpenOffice and forensic tools.  Diet Swift Linux does not.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 03:39:29 PM »
Swift Linux is fully competitive with the Debian repository, which has over 20,000 packages.

Must take some effort to become competitive with a repository of 20,000 packages   ;D
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:33:17 PM »
CORRECTION: Swift Linux is fully compatible with the Debian repository, unlike Puppy Linux and most other lightweight distros.

Offline Guy

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »
To swiftlinuxcreator

Are you the creator?

I don't know how familiar you are with Tiny Core. If you are not, I suggest you install it and become familiar with it.

You may get some ideas from Tiny Core to put in future versions of swift.

For example, you could make a base, like Tiny Core. It could be larger with more applications, if you chose to go that way. Then convert Debian packages into squashfs extensions like Tiny Core extensions.

I like Tiny Core because the filesystem is virtually incorruptable. I have had experiences with other operating systems, where after some time the filesystem becomes corrupted, and it needs to be reinstalled.

That is just one example. There is more to it. If you install and use Tiny Core, you will become familiar with it.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 06:52:03 PM »
Actually, one can have a Dukes of Hazzard Tinycore that boots and plays the whole theme song as well as display a wallpaper in less than 15 MB.   Oh well, was fun putting it together.

Regardless of the merits of Debian/Mepis/Antix, and they surely have their place and value, just don't expect the ability to squeeze Debian compatibility into a 500mb or 600mb iso to pique a lot of interest here, even if modest hardware is supported.

And we don't have 20,000 packages available, but if anyone sees one missing that they would like  and they request it, there is an almost certain chance it will be packaged in short order

Anyway, all that aside, best wishes on the project.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 09:51:59 PM »
CORRECTION: Swift Linux is fully compatible with the Debian repository, unlike Puppy Linux and most other lightweight distros.

Compatibility of a distro with debian repo would mostly depend on the fact of being a debian derivative I would guess - same as basic linux claims to be fully compatible with packages of a (older) slackware version, of which it is a derivative.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 09:55:04 PM »
Actually, one can have a Dukes of Hazzard Tinycore that boots and plays the whole theme song as well as display a wallpaper in less than 15 MB.   Oh well, was fun putting it together.

Tempted now to port the theme of Hannah Montana Linux to TC   ;D