WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: HD Persistent Personal Repository install  (Read 4781 times)

Offline tbint62

HD Persistent Personal Repository install
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:01:48 PM »
I installed to a HD. Have not been able to set a Persistent Personal Repository.
I did not run tce=hdXY from the cd. I tried to add to menu.lst. Well that don;t seem to work. nor save xsetup.

should I run this before hd install and creat a partition for tce (hda2)?

I also wrote bzimage, instead of bzImage. I don't seem to be able to edit the menu.lst as root or su.

if any one has any tips on HD Persistent Personal Repository it would help.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
Re: HD Persistent Personal Repository install
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 08:53:04 PM »
For grub installation:

http://www.tinycorelinux.com/install.html

First you set up your partition. I think Robert must have some weird font, but definitely needs an 'i' in
bzimage.  Menu.lst will be in the boot directory for editing once it's all on your HD.  (note: The partition
the boot folder is on needs to be mounted before you can see it.. Try  'chown -R 1001.50 /boot'  to set tc:staff ownership for folder )
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 09:33:02 PM by jpeters »

Offline tbint62

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 05:36:55 AM »
For grub installation:

http://www.tinycorelinux.com/install.html
Thats the directions I used.

First you set up your partition. I think Robert must have some weird font, but definitely needs an 'i' in
bzimage.  Menu.lst will be in the boot directory for editing once it's all on your HD.  (note: The partition
the boot folder is on needs to be mounted before you can see it.. Try  'chown -R 1001.50 /boot'  to set tc:staff ownership for folder )

well it needs a capital "I" I did find the menu.lst Just could not edit it. maybe the chown will work. I just wanted to aviod a reinstall of grub.

But adding tce=hda1 to the kernel line worked. It seems I can add apps manualy know. Man this is differrent!!

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 09:25:47 AM »

well it needs a capital "I" I did find the menu.lst Just could not edit it. maybe the chown will work. I just wanted to aviod a reinstall of grub.

But adding tce=hda1 to the kernel line worked. It seems I can add apps manualy know. Man this is differrent!!

I used "i" and it worked. (problem was with pasting the weird font)  Copying files can screw with ownership/permissions.
Make sure you have the exec bit set on the boot directory (eg 'chmod +x /boot).  Check permissions with 'ls -l'   
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:35:34 AM by jpeters »

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 09:55:47 AM »
GNU tools are typically case-sensitive, so I'd guess it would need to be capitalized in menu.lst if it's capital in the actual filename (that's the case with mine).

I would not recommend chown on /boot.
The first thing I'd suggest is to make sure you use root to edit menu.lst.  If that doesn't work then the partition itself is mounted read-only, in which case chown won't help.
Chmod doesn't matter with root...it could be chmod 000 and root can still access it.

Offline tbint62

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:17:50 AM »
well I guess I will go head and do the install over, not that its that big of a deal to edit the kernel line every time I boot, but this tinycore is well cool!

I have a 1 gig HD with a P3 1ghz 256mb ram.

I just gave it a 1gig partition, thinking usr, dev, etc, and the rest would be installed to HD.  /boot was read only, Just wondering if I should make, say 100mb partition for /boot then 900mb for tce (ppr). guess I'll just see what happens with the single partition.

Thanks for the help guys.   

Offline tbint62

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:21:35 AM »

I used "i" and it worked. (problem was with pasting the weird font)  Copying files can screw with ownership/permissions.
Make sure you have the exec bit set on the boot directory (eg 'chmod +x /boot).  Check permissions with 'ls -l'   

I used vi and typed in. no past. I did the hole HD install with root term. mkdir, cp -p /mnt/hda1/boot. you get the idea.

that for the help

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 11:52:19 AM »
GNU tools are typically case-sensitive, so I'd guess it would need to be capitalized in menu.lst if it's capital in the actual filename (that's the case with mine).
It's working with "bzimage" in my /hd/tinycore directory

I would not recommend chown on /boot.
The first thing I'd suggest is to make sure you use root to edit menu.lst.  If that doesn't work then the partition itself is mounted read-only, in which case chown won't help.
Chmod doesn't matter with root...it could be chmod 000 and root can still access it.

Mine is actually root:root. I thought a problem might occur if files were manually copied while in another distro, and then he tried to access them from tc., although being in root should work even then.     

Offline tbint62

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 12:27:13 PM »
OK I booted with cd and vi /mnt/hda1/boot/grub/menu  and it let me edit. booted to HD or /boot/grub and it booted without having to edit kernel line at boot. restores my vidio setteing and the tce apps are loaded or ready to load (not sure yet) without using appbrowser to download again. I think they are installed in /hda1/tclocals/tce.installed/. I'm used to the ./opera being in the /home/user directory. so I think I'm catching on.

But know that installed a few things I didn't need (alsa mods, and utill) I wish I didn't, oss was all I needed. I have not used core utility yet. man this is different but I like it.

190 megs used of 256, I need another stick 256 pc133.

WHAT IS THE XORG COMMAND FOR SETTING THE KEYBOARD UP? or is it done through x11 xconf 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 12:41:25 PM by tbint62 »

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 06:18:52 PM »
The default name has a capital "I".  In this case, it could be that the filesystem is case insensitive or the filename was changed, for example...

WHAT IS THE XORG COMMAND FOR SETTING THE KEYBOARD UP? or is it done through x11 xconf 
See the FAQ entry: http://www.tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#keyboard
Did you install xorg?  By default TC does not ship with it.  ...And what's up with the CAPS?

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »
The default name has a capital "I".  In this case, it could be that the filesystem is case insensitive or the filename was changed, for example...

Yes...surely is.... :)   I think there was some problem recognizing the original font....
Code: [Select]
kernel (hd0,2)/tinycore/bzimage quiet restore=hda3/tc_backup nolocal tce=hda3/t
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:53:33 PM by jpeters »

Offline tbint62

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 07:17:14 PM »
See the FAQ entry: http://www.tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#keyboard
Did you install xorg?  By default TC does not ship with it.  ...And what's up with the CAPS?

The thread was seemed over so I caped the question, so maybe someone would see it and I would  not have to start a new one.

But the key pad was working but, it was the num lock led that was not working.  During boot the led is on and goes out when it enters jwm. But if I hit the nums lock key the number pads starts working. yes I had loaded xorg.

Thanks for faq link.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »
As it was out of topic, it would've been better and more organized to create a new thread imo - no worries though.