WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Step by step instructions for setting password  (Read 3230 times)

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

Step by step instructions for setting password
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:56:51 PM »
Step by step instructions for setting password in microcore?

I want to have a password typed in every time I boot..........

Is this necessary to protect microcore from outsiders NOT physically in-front of my computer or is that only going to prompt users physically at my computer?

How do I have a password requested "everytime" I want to boot into Microcore and be the same password???

If you can help me........ step-by-step details please................"Thanks in advance"

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Re: Step by step instructions for setting password
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:32:45 AM »
1. If you don't install any extension, which provides a service and therefore makes your microcore "available" from outside (like SSH in openssh, VNC in x11vnc, etc.), you don't need to protect it by setting a password. But even when you e.g. install openssh and start it, it won't let you login as long as there is a valid password for such user (at least it should be that way, there were some irritations last year with the openssh extension).

2. To login with a password everytime you start:
a) Start microcore, run: $ sudo passwd tc, enter new password
b) Edit /opt/.filetool.lst to include "etc/passwd" and "etc/shadow", run $ filetool.sh -b sda1, replace sda1 with the drive where you want to save your backup
c) Add boot codes to your microcore boot loader config file at the kernel line, e.g. menu.lst: change kernel /boot/bzImage quiet to kernel /boot/bzImage quiet noautologin restore=sda1, replace sda1 with your partition you used for backup.
d) reboot. If you are using an USB key as your drive then additionally add waitusb=6 as a boot code.
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

Re: Step by step instructions for setting password
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:20:10 AM »
 Thanks for the info.

So if I understand correctly and please excuse my ignorance, your saying if I don't run a server then I should be 100% fine without a login password to get to my desktop.

100% as in it will NOT benefit me what so ever to protect from outsiders.
Again, thanks for the help.