WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: No network with TCL 1.2 under VMWare player 2.0.5  (Read 2627 times)

Offline schultzter

• Blog
No network with TCL 1.2 under VMWare player 2.0.5
« on: March 23, 2009, 07:49:55 PM »
Good evening...

I'm trying to run TCL v1.2 in VMWare player version 2.0.5.

It boots up fine from ISO image and gets a network address (ifconfig says eth0 is up and shows a valid IP address; and my router reports a DHCP lease to the MAC address the ifconfig reports for eth0).

But then I can't go anywhere! The appbrowser won't connect; and I can't ping anything (as root) - not even the host box (a WinXP machine, other VM's work fine).

I'd love to post the dmesg or even just ifconfig but I can't get anything off the box without a network!!!

Any ideas how to get it to work?

Update: I guess I should mention the network connection is bridged and the computer (a laptop) is using a Targus ACP45 USB Dock that has an ASIX AX88772 USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter.  I don't know if that matters.

(oh yeah, I couldn't mount a USB key either, but USB through a VM has never been a favourite of mine)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:27:49 PM by schultzter »
Headed for the second star to the right and straight on 'til morning...

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: No network with TCL 1.2 under VMWare player 2.0.5
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 11:18:02 PM »
have you tried it in qemu? if it works there then the solution would be getting vmware to do less so that it uses windows' connection instead of letting tc access your adapter.

qemu doesn't care how you get online, it just simulates a nic that tc can use, even if you're using dialup on xp. this assumes you're trying to just get tc online in vmware- not using vmware to see what the connection would be like if you actually booted tc natively.

Offline schultzter

• Blog
Re: No network with TCL 1.2 under VMWare player 2.0.5 [RESOLVED]
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 05:39:25 AM »
The solution seems to be to use a NAT network connection rather than a bridge network connection.

I changed it using the menus, but the following line showed up in my VM Ware properties file:
ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 06:22:39 PM »
If you want to use a bridge connection, you'll need to set up the interfaces on your host machine afaik.

Offline schultzter

• Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 07:44:56 PM »
All my physical interfaces have the VMware Bridge Protocol bound to them.

I wonder if I need to use the drivers the physical NIC as well.  I thought VMware would hide those but maybe not.

Anyways, NAT works and for now that's sufficient.  If I get ambitious I might try to get bridged to work again.

Thanks,