WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to print a pdf out of the TCL and MC editors?  (Read 3789 times)

Offline floppy

How to print a pdf out of the TCL and MC editors?
« on: January 15, 2011, 07:05:34 AM »
Hello,
I loaded "leafpad" because there is a menu where I could choose print to output; then it create a pdf.
But this is a pity I have to load leafpad only because it has this functionality ( the TCL editor is there and Midnight Commander (MC) I need are already there and could replace the "leafpad" use.
Question 1: how to print a pdf from the TCL and MC editor? Perhaps I will have to go to command line?
Question 2: in a command-line, how to print a pdf from a filename.txt which was created by the TCL or MC editor?
Thanks.
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: How to print a pdf out of the TCL and MC editors?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:20:59 AM »
Why do you need a PDF?

Offline floppy

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 09:25:09 AM »
my old pc is 20m away from the printer. So, i print a pdf, put the file on an USB stick on my router.
I dont have a network printer.
Later, when my wife laptop is nearby the printer, I load the pdf file from the usb storage I already placed, then print it.
So, pdf is the exchange format I am using. I could yes print the original file, but with pdf i can view how it will look after printing (I verify the pdf file fomat with epdfview)
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 10:22:21 AM »
What about using print preview in a browser instead of converting to pdf?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline floppy

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »
In which browser?
Then I will have to install the printer setups (Hp4110).

Later for printing from another pc (i will have to do it because my pc is not connected to a printer), then I should open the file again with the specific programm. By printing to pdf I save the time for starting openoffice or other. a simple pdf viewer is very quick.
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »
"print preview" works here with opera out of the box without having set up anything.

Personally I have never installed any pdf app in TC, just using an online pdf viewer whenever pdf would be unavoidable.

I am a bit confused with what you say in all your posts, first asking for a commandline printing utility, and later stressing print preview, seems contradictory to me.

Using openoffice would IMHO be even more overkill than converting to pdf, just for simple printing of a text file as created by leafpad.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline floppy

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 01:16:40 PM »
"print preview" works here with opera out of the box without having set up anything.

Personally I have never installed any pdf app in TC, just using an online pdf viewer whenever pdf would be unavoidable.

I am a bit confused with what you say in all your posts, first asking for a commandline printing utility, and later stressing print preview, seems contradictory to me.

Using openoffice would IMHO be even more overkill than converting to pdf, just for simple printing of a text file as created by leafpad.
stress or not stress..
question was: how to print a pdf file from the TCL or MC editor? direct from the program or with command line?
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »
People sometimes ask a question because they don't really understand the correct way to do something.
People don't always get answers to their questions without first answering a few questions themselves.

Asking how to print a pdf file from a text editer mkaes little sense.

Offline floppy

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 02:53:28 PM »
My experience is that creating a pdf show nearly everytime the format how it will go to the printer, how it will look, without installing a printer device. This is like a print simulation without installing a printer. I use the text editer instead of abiword for making open topic lists, short advices etc.
When I modified a text file with the TCL editor, I would like to know how it will look later (print on 1.. or more pages.. text too much on the right..)
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 06:26:02 PM »
I meant in order to achieve a print preview - if any app would be installed which has such a feature builtin already - all the overhead of the method described could be avoided to achieve the same goal.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 01:21:03 AM »
Google shows many apps for text2pdf conversion, which you can then preview with a pdf viewer.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline floppy

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 03:51:58 AM »
I follow this question now in http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=8562.0
It looks, there is a possibility to print pdfs by using cups-pdf.
But cups-pdf is still not running on my pc.
If I dont find a solution for making it running, I will have to create a tinycorelinux extension "text2pdf" (this find howto etc.).
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 04:11:23 PM »
My experience is that creating a pdf show nearly everytime the format how it will go to the printer, how it will look, without installing a printer device. This is like a print simulation without installing a printer. I use the text editer instead of abiword for making open topic lists, short advices etc.
When I modified a text file with the TCL editor, I would like to know how it will look later (print on 1.. or more pages.. text too much on the right..)

I found with current version of opera in gtk mode it is possible to get print preview - without any pdf viewer- as well as print to pdf, ps or svg; in case that would serve your purpose.

Offline floppy

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 03:10:56 PM »
how?
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 07:22:53 PM »
Ctrl-Shift-P resp. Ctrl-P