WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: ACPI: EC: input buffer is not empty, aborting transaction  (Read 2933 times)

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
ACPI: EC: input buffer is not empty, aborting transaction
« on: May 24, 2011, 03:09:35 AM »
ACPI: EC: input buffer is not empty, aborting transaction

The above error is appearing on my Dell when I boot. I have googled a bit around and it appears to have been a kernel bug which was supposed to have been resolved by 2.6.32. So I am a little puzzled why it still appears here in 2.6.33?

Would this be fixed by using one of the acpi boot codes? I am completely out of my depth here. The AC adapter seems not to be detected properly, and I am not sure what other detrimental effects there might be that would otherwise be nicely functional.

Any opinions?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: ACPI: EC: input buffer is not empty, aborting transaction
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 03:21:01 AM »
It could also be that your acpi bios is buggy (it very likely is ;)). Battery charging is usually handled by the hardware, so not having the OS know when it's plugged in shouldn't matter.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 04:23:21 AM »
kernel param 'acpi=off' would probably be the most radical and simple thing to try first.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 08:36:58 AM »
Last February someone gave me a Dell laptop because the AC adapter had died. While Googling for
a suitable replacement I found that Dell communicates with the power supply through a third pin thats
inside the hollow tube of the connector. I came across a link by one fellow who opened a Dell supply
and decoded some of the data. Try googling on the following if your interested:

dell power supply eprom