WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: mixer GUI for OSS  (Read 4072 times)

Offline tinypoodle

mixer GUI for OSS
« on: January 12, 2011, 10:09:54 AM »
Are there any known mixer GUIs (even if console GUIs) known to work with OSS, besides from ossxmix?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline SamK

Re: mixer GUI for OSS
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:51:53 AM »
sgmixer.tcz is in the repo for basic adjustments, also aumix might be worth a look.
http://jpj.net/~trevor/aumix.html

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:37:44 AM »
I have already tried sgmixer, but it doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever (except if I am missing something).

I had also looked at link of aumixer, but it seems to be available only as source.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline SamK

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
I have already tried sgmixer, but it doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever (except if I am missing something).
It has always worked here directly from the install, including booting base norestore, and across a variety of hardware.

I had also looked at link of aumixer, but it seems to be available only as source.
Packages for deb and rpm are available from other distros, might be worth investigating converting to tcz:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=2325.0

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 01:24:04 AM »
It has always worked here directly from the install, including booting base norestore, and across a variety of hardware.

Packages for deb and rpm are available from other distros, might be worth investigating converting to tcz:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=2325.0

Mediocre minds thinking alike, I have already tried aumixer from debian repos in the meantime following that method, and several other GUI or curses mixers which I found there supposed to work with OSS as well.
It appears that they all default to use /dev/mixer which seems not to work, and I am clueless what device to specify.

The only exception is ossxmix, where the debian version worked out of the box, no noticable difference to ossxmix.tcz

Also notable that mp3blaster works perfectly well with OSS, but unlike with alsa the builtin mixer does not work, this on same box.

Besides from ossxmix, the only app I have so far found to work for adjustment of sound with OSS is flit, which of course is limited to output volume and muting, still comes very handy though.

Offline SamK

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 01:57:06 AM »
It appears that they all default to use /dev/mixer which seems not to work, and I am clueless what device to specify.
Often its is /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp0, /dev/dsp1 etc.

ossinfo  and also ls /dev  may give a starting point.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 04:33:59 AM »
Often its is /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp0, /dev/dsp1 etc.

ossinfo  and also ls /dev  may give a starting point.

Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ ossinfo  -v9 -x

Mixer devices
 0: High Definition Audio ALC888 (Mixer 0 of device object 1)
    Device file /dev/oss/oss_hdaudio0/mix0, Legacy device /dev/mixer0
    Priority: 10
    Caps:
    Device handle: PCI01101462-0000:00:1b.0-mx01
    Device priority: 10

I tried those 2 devices with all mixers, to no avail.   :'(

ossxmix would work with specifying either of them, or with not specifying any at all.

Another thing is that in xtensoftphone audiowizard where there is a dropdown menu of devices to choose, "0: High Definition Audio ALC888" turns up, besides from several "/dev/*" and playback works fine, but I can't get capture (for mic) to work.

With pjsua.tcz - which uses portaudio to be compatible with either alsa or OSS - I couldn't find any --playback-dev= or --capture-dev= to work... which is a reason I wanted a mixer in the first place, but ossxmix is way bigger than my screen and really difficult to handle, practically.

Offline SamK

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 05:28:44 AM »
...ossxmix would work with specifying either of them, or with not specifying any at all.

...playback works fine, but I can't get capture (for mic) to work.

...which is a reason I wanted a mixer in the first place, but ossxmix is way bigger than my screen and really difficult to handle, practically.
OSS.tcz includes a mixer that can be controlled via a terminal.  ossmix --help

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 08:16:25 AM »
Yes, ossmix was the first thing I had looked at, but I decided I need something somewhat more graphical, and be it even something curser based, in approximate analogy to amixer vs. alsamixer.
Actually if I need one graphical app for everything sound related only, that would always have been a mixer.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »

With pjsua.tcz - which uses portaudio to be compatible with either alsa or OSS - I couldn't find any --playback-dev= or --capture-dev= to work... which is a reason I wanted a mixer in the first place, but ossxmix is way bigger than my screen and really difficult to handle, practically.

After all it turned out that was a matter of setting '--clock-rate' value to be compatible with respective OSS devices.   :o
Works fine after that   ;D

Offline solorin

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 12:47:45 PM »
A while back I made an extension for rexima, but I could never get it to work for OSS.
. . . if you don't know, now you know. . .
        ----- R.I.P. Biggie Smalls -----