WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: A Few Eager Newbie Questions  (Read 3983 times)

Offline tshandy33

A Few Eager Newbie Questions
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:01:18 AM »
1. How do I get to my XP computer in the next room (wired network)? I installed SAMBA and CUPS, but I have no handle to get to the files (internet is working fine from that arrangement, though).
2. What's the pw and id to set up a CUPS printer?
TinyCore is a powerful concept, beautifully executed. I think it may be the best way into cloud computing.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: A Few Eager Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:56:53 PM »
regarding the first question: http://tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#samba

Offline tshandy33

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:31:35 PM »
Thanks for your response. I installed the required extension, made a windows directory at /mnt, but attempts to mount were unsuccessful. I do know the ip number, but I have no idea what my id and pw are, for example.
 I suspect that TinyCore may not be for me until I get just a bit more sophisticated. I'll continue to follow the development of tc with interest.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:31:09 PM »
What's the pw and id to set up a CUPS printer?
If you install the cups extension and its dependencies, you will see a new menu item and icon labelled "cups". If you click on the menu item/icon, you will be prompted to set a root password of your chosing - once this root password is set, this is the username (root) and password you need to use with cups.

but I have no idea what my id and pw are, for example.
The username and password are the ones set on the shared folder(s) on your windows xp machine.

Offline alu

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:21:35 AM »
just a suggestion for cups. perhaps it could be useful for new users to have in the info file the following:

1. at prompt, set a passwd with at least 6 characters including at least one number;
2. use lp command for some apps (f.ex. sylpheed needs lp %s -d nameoftheprinter, as xpdf do).

I know that it is a little dumb because this is part of the cups help, but it could save time for beginners

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:15:32 AM »
1. at prompt, set a passwd with at least 6 characters including at least one number;
OK, but even though the prompt might complain that a password is weak, it will still let you enter whatever you like...

2. use lp command for some apps (f.ex. sylpheed needs lp %s -d nameoftheprinter, as xpdf do).
I suspect that if you set one of your printers as default in cups, you might not need to do this. Maybe you could check and I'll modify the info file accordingly

Offline alu

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 06:01:51 AM »
thanks for your answers. to 1: yes, but if you don't enter a 6 characters passwd, it seems that cups don't work, and that you don't have the possibility to change it back; that was one of my mistake at the begining, and when i tried to change the tc or root passwd again, it has had no impact on cups, i.e. it was impossible to register the printer because cups rejected the passwd;
to 2. my experience is that i had to do these even if the printer was configured as default in cups (typically for sylpheed as well as for xpdf).