WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Using Opera Link with TC  (Read 4472 times)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Using Opera Link with TC
« on: May 10, 2009, 01:52:44 AM »
Opera Link is the tech where your bookmarks and quick-launch sites are synchronized to the Opera servers.

While you can get everything saved in a backup, if you boot without one, or on another nomadic TC system, it's just a matter of clicking File -> Synchronize Opera, typing in your username and password, and getting access to bookmarks and quicklaunch buttons.

This sometimes comes in handy for me.

To use it requires an Opera account, which also gives access to their forums, and if desired, blog space and other things.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline thane

Re: Using Opera Link with TC
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 08:51:15 PM »
This may be very helpful. I'm only running a small number of apps and have already had occasion to delete and re-install all my TCE's. Restoring the bookmarks was actually the most tedious part of this.

In a larger sense maybe this is another step toward true cloud computing? Where only a generic browser app is stored locally and everything else is on a web server someplace?

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: Using Opera Link with TC
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 09:06:08 PM »
maybe this is another step toward true cloud computing? Where only a generic browser app is stored locally and everything else is on a web server someplace?

that kind of computing has been around forever. it has advantages and disadvantages, which is why you don't see it everywhere these days, but it used to be more common. of course the network is much larger now, but the advantages and the disadvantages remain even more similar than the network.

as for this being a step, bookmark sites like de.lic.io.us (wherever the .'s go) and "remote bookmarks" aren't new either.

dsl let you put your backup / all your settings (encrypted even) onto an ftp server, then download it and restore from the net.