WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Thanks` Robert!  (Read 1596 times)

Offline enrico

Thanks` Robert!
« on: January 05, 2011, 10:58:26 PM »
Introduction, I wrote this book `s tonight, before the thread
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=8245.0

was closed, so it is for flattery that I put it here but why 'seem right.

Why 'Tiny Core Linux' is  revolutionary.

Let me clarify what I mean by "revolutionary" by examples.

Linux was revolutionary.In reality, 'the student Linus Torvalds did not invent' anything new: he took a version of Minix, a mini clone of Unix developed for educational purposes by one of his teachers, the Change 'for a specific research and baptized with his ` name by replacing the "s" at the end with an "x".What made it revolutionary was the fact that Linux Torvalds divulge the 'putting it on the net, where, in a short time, you create' a community 'of developers continuing international' development by creating the operating system we know today.

Another example: in 2003, was born Knoppix, a fork of Debian, which among other important features (small size, is loaded in ram) is an important thing that no one had ever tried before: to run directly from CD (which is not true just think of QNX, or other distros but it is only after the Knoppix live spreads).Creation of the main Linux distributions "live" soon to be adopted by all other distributions, which allows you to try and use an operating system without the need 'to install it and then change the hard disk, with the result is obvious to accelerate greatly the distribution of Linux. This too was a revolutionary event. That's enough ', we could go on but I think the concept is clear.

Now we come to Tiny Core Linux.

The relationship between the user and the Linux operating system and 'definitely much more' free than is the case for other sonon investigation, but those who use Linux know what I mean.

For a computer, the fact that Linux is "open source" means the chance 'to have an operating system fully rugged, reliable and fully adjustable to build a new one.

For an experienced user, the degree of freedom 'decreases but, that' notwithstanding, the ability 'to master the "instrument" and the operating system', however remarkable, to the point that 'can recompile the kernel to fit a specific machine in order to optimize operation.

And for someone "normal" degree of freedom which 'ensures Linux? Given the fact that freedom 'and I'm talking' directly proportional to the computer skills you have, over the years, a "normal" user of Linux and 'faced with the continuous improvement of the kernels and distributions, Free, no small feat and certainly liberating, and, therefore, the chance 'to move from one distribution to another without too much effort.Not only that, in recent times and 'improved the degree of customization possible. For example, programs such as Remastersys or KLA and 'can change the distribution, reducing it in size, and remastered to be able to share with friends and acquaintances or simply to reinstall one or more computers. With other programs, such Unetbootin, without being experts and 'Can I transfer the operating system on a USB stick for use on any computer.
However, the degree of customization of the operating system ', however limited, and' can reduce size of Ubuntu, install only the programs that interest you and remastered, but you can 'reduce to a certain point.Always with Ubuntu and 'You can start with a distro in the command line and add the graphic environment and programs that you want, but in the end we are always the same Ubuntu.Ditto for Debian.Gentoo offers a different solution, but even that is extremely rigid and too difficult. One could speak of the possibility 'offered by Linux From Scratch, but the latter and' only within the reach of an experienced user of a computer if you do not.The important thing to emphasize is that changing an operating system (eg switch between Windows and Linux) requires a substantial commitment of time to learn to move in a completely new environment.

We come to the point: What does it again Tiny Core Linux?Linux is the core of the Linux operating system, kernel, adds a few tools and creates a working operating system, with or without a graphical environment is completely configurable by the user by simply adding the files. This means that even a novice user you can 'configure an operating system to its size that can' grow with him, as they grow in their needs.This is 'a revolutionary event that will introduce' a new way of using the computer returned to you the role of master and slave of the machine, like the good old days of DOS, when it was necessary to build the applications with GWBasic, but with the modern instruments, with almost no learning curve. Some may 'predict that this could lead to the end of the major distributions, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.. but I do not think 'cause there will be' always in need of operating systems "generalists".Rather Tiny Core Linux should have great success at school where he will be 'really can be used profitably by reducing costs of computer hardware and licenses. In addition, the possibility 'of having a system so' easy setup will allow 'to lower costs in the creation of dedicated systems of all types, the craft industry (especially), the home automation and entertainment.

A revolution. Thanks Robert! and also thanks to the staff.

However it seems clear that the natural target of TC are just end users that
I think it is very important to develop a good tracking system and extensions to permit the creation of new extensions and remastering all in an iso image.`TC` Only in this way will be able to take off.

ps Why has nobody thought of allowing users to contribute financially to help the development of TC?
But, I'd love to understand why they closed the thread ....
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=8245.0
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:42:37 AM by enrico »

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Thanks` Robert!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 12:03:19 AM »
Another example: in 2003, was born Knoppix, a fork of Debian, which among other important features (small size, is loaded in ram) is an important thing that no one had ever tried before: to run directly from CD.Creation of the main Linux distributions "live" soon to be adopted by all other distributions, which allows you to try and use an operating system without the need 'to install it and then change the hard disk, with the result is obvious to accelerate greatly the distribution of Linux. This too was a revolutionary event.

:o

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20041115#fdow (Yggdrasil)
http://www.demolinux.org/
http://www.lnx-bbc.com/download.html
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline enrico

Re: Thanks` Robert!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:53:42 AM »
thanks of the correction. I wanted only to find some examples of important development of Linux

Offline SvOlli

• Linux Developer
Re: Thanks Robert!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 05:03:53 AM »
In reality, 'the student Linus Torvalds did not invent' anything new: he took a version of Minix,...
That's not correct either. He did not take a version of Minix to write Linux, but because of the License of Minix, which was with around $100 the cheapeast Unix clone available, he chose to write his own. Until a self hosted development was possible with Linux 0.11, he used Minix as his development platform.

As quotes in Wikipedia:
... - Yes - it's free of any minix code. ...

And to choose the name "Linux" was not Linus' idea, he wanted to name it "Freeaks". Iirc, the name was decided by the guy who set up the first FTP server for Linux.

The real revolution Linus did there was to get something working and release his code for free. GNU Hurd, though it was intended to be released for free, was about a perfect world kernel, which never was completed due to the high design goals. Except for Minix and all other Unicies (including BSD) were _really_ expensive back then.