Off-Topic > Off-Topic - Tiny Tux's Corner

problem mounting tmpfs

(1/4) > >>

wysiwyg:
Gang,

I'm attempting to mount several filesystems during the bootup process, but get hung up.  I created an /sbin/init bash script that does the following in the order shown:

mount /proc
mount /sys
mount /dev (as mdev)
mkdir /dev/pts
mount /dev/pts (as devpts)
echo /sbin/mdev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug && /sbin/mdev -s

Everything ran fine with this setup.  I've since added runit (init replacement) so that the startup process can be more complex than a single bash script.  That is the only addition to the OS and now if I run the old init bash script from the prompt, it gets to the point where it tries to mount the /dev (mdev) filesystem but errors out saying "can't setup loop device: no space left on device".  I tried Googling that exact error, but only have a few results for the Andriod OS.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Also, my OS has been pretty much copying Tinycore up to this point.  I noticed that in TC, the /init script does the following:
if mount -t tmpfs -o size=90% tmpfs /mnt; then
  if tar -C / --exclude=mnt -cf - . | tar -C /mnt/ -xf - ; then
    mkdir /mnt/mnt
    exec /sbin/switch_root mnt /sbin/init
  fi
fi

Is there a reason to not just remain in the original ramdisk?  Are there advantages either way?

Thanks,
Dave

tinypoodle:
There is no ramdisk to begin with...

Search forum and docs for keyword "embed" (e.g. bootcode).

wysiwyg:

--- Quote from: tinypoodle on January 05, 2011, 03:50:23 PM ---There is no ramdisk to begin with...

Search forum and docs for keyword "embed" (e.g. bootcode).

--- End quote ---

Ok, I've searched the forums for "embed", "bootcode", "embed +bootcode" and couldn't find anything relevant on the first couple of pages.  Can you be more specific or provide a direct link?

curaga:

--- Quote ---Is there a reason to not just remain in the original ramdisk?  Are there advantages either way?
--- End quote ---

Without the copy, it doesn't show up in df. Thus some binary installers blow up when they can't measure free space.

wysiwyg:

--- Quote from: curaga on January 06, 2011, 06:03:43 AM ---
--- Quote ---Is there a reason to not just remain in the original ramdisk?  Are there advantages either way?
--- End quote ---

Without the copy, it doesn't show up in df. Thus some binary installers blow up when they can't measure free space.

--- End quote ---

As in the copy using the TC code provide in the OP?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version