WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Local cached list of mirrors not depending on ibiblio ?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline mark_orion

Local cached list of mirrors not depending on ibiblio ?
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:43:30 AM »
Is there a way to have a local list of mirrors to choose from instead of the list that is retrieved from ibiblio when clicking on "Mirrors" ? I am asking this, because I notice that the official ibiblio mirror seems to have problems today. The problem is that not even a list of mirrors is retrieved - only some html source code shows up in appbrowser.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Local cached list of mirrors not depending on ibiblio ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 08:08:25 AM »
I think it would be a good idea to have the list of mirrors resident on the system, updateable via an extension.
As it is now, loosing your mirror selection in tcemirror or having your current mirror down makes it impossible to select a new mirror.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 08:38:46 PM »
+1

circular dependency...   ::)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline mark_orion

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 08:35:50 AM »
I would suggest a tcemirrorlist file that sits in the /opt directory and is being backed up. This file could be updated via a button in one of the GUI panels (controlpanel, appbrowser etc.). It is stored on a well known location on all mirrors so that one can easily replace it in the case the automatic update process fails.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 08:54:14 AM »
It could be updated by AppsAudit or tce-update if it is a tcz extension.
When loaded it could overwrite /opt/tcemirrorlist
This way no special button is needed, and it gets updated with new mirrors any time you update extensions.
If you accidently trash the file or forget to add it to .filetool.lst, you can just reload the extension.
One could add it to onboot, or ondemand if one wished.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 07:10:38 AM »
I will implement support for a tce mirror extension. But it will not be in /opt nor should one attempt to mix extensions with backup. As Gerald mentioned it will get updated with any new mirrors any time you update your extensions.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:20:29 AM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.