WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Persian language support in TinyCore  (Read 1825 times)

Offline netsupport

Persian language support in TinyCore
« on: January 03, 2011, 02:40:30 AM »
hi
how to I can observe persian Web pages in TinyCore?
Do I need to load special packages?
thanks

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Persian language support in TinyCore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:04:21 AM »
I didn't try, but you could try downloading a font that supports Persian Characters and unpacking it to /usr/local/share/fonts to see if that works.

Offline floppy

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 03:28:12 AM »
I didn't try, but you could try downloading a font that supports Persian Characters and unpacking it to /usr/local/share/fonts to see if that works.
From work, i know there are extrem strong limitations for sw deliveries and support for any iran peoples. There is an UN resolution text which has to be signed by any companies we are working with: ".. no involvement of islamic guards" or something like that before we can work with the company (I am at home and I dont have the full text here). So, be carefull for any extra activities regarding iran: it would be a pity the name of one of us would be on a US "persona non grata" list and will become major issues by travelling in/from us. I personally have to follow strict rules for avoiding my company (in germany) coming to such list. As a company employee, I am not allowed to made seminars for iran citizen. So this is my experience (whatever if I agree or disagree the current international situation). I dont know how strong such forum are observed by autorities and how would be exchange activities evaluated. Simply think about it.
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 05:32:30 PM »
Hmmm, does this not go a bit too far for our humble forum here? I fully appreciate that companies have to follow certain rules, but I can't see how anybody would interpret the mere help with a certain language font to be a material support and a potential breach of possible economic sanctions (to which degree they are currently in place I'm not even sure of).

What would happen if the users receiving such help are not even residing in the country that might or might not be under boycott? Such users could well be dissidents inside or outside such a country, or forreign scholars of the language.

I think there is some destinction to be made between solving problems for "technical widgets" that might have dual-use functions, and the mere ability to read a non-european language.

Offline netsupport

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:21:45 PM »
hi
Can you explain a little more
tnx

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:23:43 PM »
you could have a look at:

http://www.hoomanb.com/Unicode/

..and it seems that the tahoma font supports persian:

http://hezardastan.sourceforge.net/persianfonts/tahoma.tar.gz

You should be able to install the font by something like:
Code: [Select]
$ sudo mkdir /usr/local/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-persian-fonts
$ sudo tar zxvf tahoma.tar.gz -C /usr/local/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-persian-fonts
$ sudo fc-cache -f -v
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:55:07 PM by Juanito »