Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

RAM usage increase; possibility to free it during a session?

(1/2) > >>

floppy:
hello, I discovered that a TCL session start with approx 110 MB usage with top, application links, application wpa_supplicant, udhcpc running (the 110 MB are indicated with top at the left top side "mem"). While I am tipping these lines, the "mem" indicated is 310 MB. What happens here? I s the memory filling up? Is there a possibility to free it? .. or perhaps the pc hardware is defect? It seems to go sometime down, but with a global tendency for growing.
Thanks for any information because I had the impression the pc is quite going slow.

thane:
I'm shooting in the dark, but any chance it's your browser? Based on posts I've seen here that's often the culprit in excess memory usage (and slow backup). You might want to look through the forums for discussions of this. There are some lightweight browsers and browsers that have been modified to be less heavy in the repository.

tinypoodle:
That's mem used incl. buffers and cache.
You could free mem by

--- Code: ---sudo cache-clear
--- End code ---

Using the htop extension might give you a better impression of mem usage.

floppy:
Done. After using firefox, it freed immediatly by approx. 60000kb. Is it not possible to do it by a batch programm every 1/2 h or to have a mechanism for having it done automatically? I am running now with 159012k used, 615548k free, 0k shared, 180k buff, 121088k cached (from 280...k cached).

gerald_clark:
Unused RAM is wasted RAM,
Linux will use all available RAM for cache, reassiging it to programs as needed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version