WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Wavesurfer Lightweight GUI Audio Editor  (Read 2136 times)

Offline SamK

Wavesurfer Lightweight GUI Audio Editor
« on: December 30, 2010, 06:12:46 AM »
I recently rediscovered this little gem from KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, as development has begun again in the last few months.

It was designed primarily as a tool for "speech research and education", however, it also is a capable general purpose audio editor.  Have a look at the attached screenshot to get a quick idea of its abilities.

The sources, or binary can be downloaded from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wavesurfer
The latest release is dated December 6th 2010.  Once uncompressed, the binary weighs in at 2.6MB.

Booting TC3.3 with the bootcodes "base" and "norestore", the only needed dependency seems to be tk.tcz. Of course a sound driver is also needed; I tested using ALSA.

Presently, it edits files in memory, but it comfortably handled a WAV in excess of 70MB on my test rig which is approx 15-16 years old.

It is able to read multiple file formats including WAV, AU, AIFF, and MP3 (but cannot save to MP3). There is a separate plug-in to handle Ogg/Vorbis.  

Re Plugins - Abstracts from docs
"WaveSurfer can be extended in several ways. For example, using a combination of C/C++ code and Tcl, like in the OGG/Vorbis and NIST/Sphere plug-ins."
"Pure Tcl is another extension option, like most of WaveSurfer's default plug-ins. Tcl can also be used in other combinations, for example to call external programs."

Are there any TC audio enthusiasts with coding/scripting skills that might have a go at producing a Save-to-MP3 plug-in via an external program such as LAME?

Wavesurfer is both lightweight and usable as it is now - perhaps others might also find it useful.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 06:30:13 AM by SamK »