General TC > General TC Talk

Terminal Services... NEED HELP

(1/4) > >>

jconnor:
I am new to Tiny Core Linux so please keep responses on the "dummy" level.

I have TCL installed on one computer "mothership" and have been able to net boot another computer after I setup Terminal Services on the mothership computer.  All I did was go into the Control Panel and press on the Terminal Services button and answer the questions that came up.  Very simple....

It all works, but I was expecting the client computer that is net booting to have the same applications installed as the mothership.  It just comes up as a bare bones TCL install.

I have looked at the Wiki for netbooting and it makes no sense to me.  There are commands that point to paths that I don't have on my install.  It appears that the Wiki may be out of date.... maybe.

I really need to understand how to get the client computers to have the same setup as the mothership as far as installed applications.  Is there a simple way of setting this up in TCL 3.4?  I don't want to do anything fancy. 

It appears that my install is attempting to use TFTPd.  The Terminal Services window indicates that the TFTPd has a server error (0) and is aborted.  Then it shows several lines tftpd: Can't open file.

thanks!

tinypoodle:

--- Quote from: jconnor on December 28, 2010, 06:11:16 PM ---I really need to understand how to get the client computers to have the same setup as the mothership as far as installed applications.  Is there a simple way of setting this up in TCL 3.4?  I don't want to do anything fancy. 

--- End quote ---

One possible approach would be Dynamic root filesystem remastering as described here:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/Dynamic+root+filesystem+remastering

jconnor:
thanks, but I would like to do this without remastering.  Is there a way to do this "out of the box" when you press the terminal services button in the control panel?

I attempted to do the tutorial listed in the WIKI for netbooting and it does not work.

tinypoodle:
What I have done is symlinking files on server box into /netboot so they would be accessible by tftp from client machine after boot.

curaga:
With the multitude of ways to set a TC install up, it wouldn't really be reasonable to attempt to reproduce the server to the clients. Nor is that always wanted.

One is not restricted to using the same server for booting and say extensions, but it is possible. You could for example share your extension directory over NFS, and add the required bootcodes to the clients' boot config.

edit: The tftplist option would be the easiest to set up on a vanilla TC, I believe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version