WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Mount Tool not working properly with USB sticks in remastered TC 3.4  (Read 1660 times)

Offline TerryJC

I have created a remastered live disc which has been under development for a week or two now, previously using 3.3 instead of 3.4.

With TC 3.3 as the base, the Mount Tool seemed to work fine when I plugged in a USB stick; eg a new drive (generally sdb1) would appear in the list and once I'd scrolled along to it and clicked, my drive was mounted and ready to use.  If I opened File Manager, I could see sdb1 in the left hand pane and open it for read and write.

With 3.4, things are decidedly flaky.  When I plug in a USB stick and launch Mount Tool, there is often no sign of sdb1 (or anything else relating to the USB stick).  If I click on any other drive (say hda1), then the File Manager is launched and magically, sdb1 appears in Mount Tool and I can see its volume label if I hover the mouse over it.  However, when I click on it,  File Manager is launched again, but sdb1 is not in the left hand pane!  I then have to use the shell to copy or delete files.

Some background info and other symptoms might be useful:
  • I have tried booting my remastered disc on several different machines with mixed results, as detailed below.
  • On my dev machine (a very old Dan Dantum tower, which has TC installed on the hard-disk), I saw nothing unusual other than the improved behaviour of the Mount Tool.
  • On a Dell Optiplex tower, sdb1 showed up in Mount Tool, but not in File Manager.
  • On a home-made tower, the behaviour was as for the Optiplex.
  • On an MSI laptop, sdb1 didn't show up in Mount Tool until I had mounted something else and it never showed up in File Manager.
  • On a Dell XPS laptop, the behaviour was as for the MSI.

I've only tried it with a few machines, but TC base image seems to work OK.  So where should I start looking?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Mount Tool not working properly with USB sticks in remastered TC 3.4
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 01:25:45 AM »
There are two apps in play here, the mount tool and the file manager. Please start separate threads for clarity.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline TerryJC

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 01:31:30 AM »
There are two apps in play here, the mount tool and the file manager. Please start separate threads for clarity.

Well perhaps, although I'm inclined to think that the cause of this is common.

Anyway, I've had an idea which I'm currently trying to prove.  If it fixes the problem, I'll report back.  Otherwise, I'll start two threads as you request.

Presumably, you would expect to see the threads in the TC Extensions area?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 01:50:01 AM »
No, as both are a part of the base, the TCB bugs area would IMHO be the one.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.