Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

Which partitioning is required for TCL 3.3 and a PC with a 780MB RAM?

(1/2) > >>

floppy:
Hello,
for my old boy I created on the 6GB HDD hda (in order to start very quick)
a) boot partition 780MB hda1
b) SWAP partition 10MB hda2
c) standard partition hda3, rest of the 6GB (for home, TCE,..)

I think
a) 780 MB boot partition is too much; TCL is maximum 50MB currently, so 60MB should be enough. Correct?
b) SWAP is probably not necessary at all or this is good for the system to have a part on the HDD?: the RAM 780MB with the AMD K6-2 450MHz is already a lot in order to keep a speed, SWAP will not help the PC.. only small extensions in order to keep a speed
c) the nearly 6GB will be really enough for the extensions, which i must keep small due to the low specification of the PC

Can somebody confirm and/or comment? Thanks a lot.

Pascal

gerald_clark:
You definitely want swap.
I use 2 partitions.
512M hda1 for swap
The rest as hda2.

I use boot option tce=hda2
I also put grub, bzImage and tinycore.gz on hda2.

tinypoodle:
If the only purpose of use of the hdd is running TC, I don't see a need of having more than one partition.
A separate boot partition is not required for TC, and neither is a swap partition, as with kernel 2.6 using swap files does not result in any inferior performance (as it would have done before), so you could always be flexible and change size of swap file(s) according to needs coming up.
You could use 'swapfile' tool in TC base.

Umm, 10MB of swap on a 780MB RAM box would increase virtual memory by less than 1.3%, not sure if that would ever make a big difference... Getting a flashback to when I was using swap on a floppy on a 256MB box without a hdd   :P

Guy:
It is interesting, different people do it different ways.

I would make hda1 5.5 gb for boot, tce, home, etc. and the rest for swap.

gerald_clark:
The swap partition has the advantage that it is automatically found and activated.

As far as no need to partition, what bootloader will boot a hard disk with no partitions?
( I am not referring to USB here ).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version