WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: OSS4.0 in TC 3.3  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Hangard

OSS4.0 in TC 3.3
« on: December 11, 2010, 07:53:05 PM »
Hello,

I'm New to TinyCore. Sure boots fast from a CD. Soon to put to the HDD I hope.

I am looking to make a IBM 380Z with a Crystal 4232 sound chip able to record from the mic input.

I tried the oss drivers for 3.3 and they did not see my sound card. The Apps applet found OSS-modules-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz and installed fine, just did not see my hardware.

I found some posts that OSS 4.0 is Crystal friendly, [and includes a wav recorder] but alas, I am too TC newbie make it work.

I downloaded the OSS4.0 [is the latest version 4.3?]  which is for kernel 2.8 and it has a tcem extension
I cannot load the tcem as the aplet seems to need a tce extension and  returns 'cannot find OOS4.tcem.tce' - adding the tce to the file name.

Can someone let me know what I am missing. Is the tcem a file that needs to be [I am so green I dont even know the question to ask] ,  or is it just incompatable with the new kernel.   I am needing to get sound working  to be able to record.  I was able to install an extension from a mirror, but not this tecm file from a local location.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: OSS4.0 in TC 3.3
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 08:18:42 PM »
If you are using tc-3.3, then you cannot use module extensions from the tc-2.x repo (eg oss4.tcem) as they have been compiled for a different kernel version.

If oss does not work, you could try alsa (but reboot without loading the oss extensions before you try).

Offline maro

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 08:25:57 PM »
First off: extensions for TC 3.x are only of the '.tcz' type. The older '.tce' ones were used for TC 1.x and (earlier) TC 2.x. They got phased out during the TC 2.x cycle. Better throw that one away quickly. It should have been rather tricky to obtain it in the first place as 'appbrowser' should not have been able to download it for you.

Regarding hardware detection: that should happen when the 'OSS-module-...' extension gets installed. Have a look in the 'dmesg' output (if you have not done so already). Otherwise to identify your hardware I'd suggest to install the 'pci-utils.tcz' extension and run lspci -v Or is yours an ISA card?

I believe that 'OSS v4.2 Build 2003' is the most recent one, so the current version in the repository (i.e. v4.2, Build 2002) is not exactly much older. In the end those are the "management" apps, the first critical thing is getting the correct kernel module loaded, and that is tied to our kernel version.

Offline tinypoodle

Using the CS4237 on Thinkpads
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 02:02:12 AM »
There are some particularities about using the CS4237 on Thinkpads with alsa, wrt module options and BIOS settings. You might want to research if for OSS any similar is the case.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/CS4237
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Hangard

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
Ok, I see I have been going about this wholly wrong.

Infact  the OSS4.tecm was hard to find.  But I have put it away.

After looking at the posted replies I unloaded the OSS modules and worked with ALSA modules.  About 6hrs of reading posts, and unproductive attempts to get sound up, I went back and READ the replies.

No sound device in dmesg.  lapci -v did not show my device. Several devices but no sound device.
Then I read this again.
In the end those are the "management" apps, the first critical thing is getting the correct kernel module loaded, and that is tied to our kernel version.

So a lsmod showed no sound module.  I have osscore and oss_usb listed.
I can modprobe oss_cs461x and that then shows in lsmod output,  but does not activate my soundcard.    The listing of the modules in OSS-modules-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz shows a cs461x and a cs4281.  Neither work with my hardware yet.

I had this sound working on DSL  as a crystal 4232 using  options similar to
There are some particularities about using the CS4237 on Thinkpads with alsa, wrt module options and BIOS settings. You might want to research if for OSS any similar is the case.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/CS4237

osstest tells me I have no audio devices available, it looks like your hardware was not recognized by OSS

So If I have this right this time I technically have sound working now from the kernels standpoint,  but to get the hardware to play sound I need to have a module that works with oss and my crystal 4232.    I believe that is why I had the oss4.0 in the first place as it seemed to be able to work with this hardware.

If I try to modprobe oss_csxxx port=0x530 etc etc - with either of the oss_csxxx modules,  the module will not load at all - it returns  ... unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter.

And just why do I go back to OSS?  Should I instead focus more on ALSA?

So I would again appreciate a point in some direction of research or just to be told how badly I am off base yet.

Offline maro

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 01:12:20 PM »
For us to have better visibility of your hardware please run lspci -v > lspci-v.log ; lspci -n > lspci-n.log and attach those two files here. Furthermore it would probably be good to also attach the 'dmesg' output (e.g. after you installed the 'OSS.tcz' extension). This way we would at least be able to "see what your are seeing".

EDIT: Scrap that request. I've since done a bit of reading and take from here that an a '380Z' contains a 'CS4237B', which is an ISA (16bit) interface. OTOH I've learned from here that "... Since ISA is a bus technology that disappeared about 10 years ago if's very unlikely that OSS will ever support it (again) ...". So forget about OSS and just focus on ALSA.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:10:57 PM by maro »

Offline Hangard

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »
Here are the files you asked for, plus a log of my lsmod output.

That is awesome that you would take a look at this for me.

Meanwhile, I will keep researching this as well.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 02:16:53 PM »
I dont see any sound hardware.
Do you have it turned off in the BIOS?

Offline maro

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 02:22:39 PM »
gerald_clark: See my EDIT in reply #5. I'm now convinced that the sound chip is connected via the ISA bus.

What I'm not sure about are all those issues with IRQ #10 and #11 showing up in the 'dmesg' output. Not really my area of prior experience, but I wonder what happens when TC gets booted with a boot code of 'irqpoll'.

Offline Hangard

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 02:26:09 PM »
I just checked my BIOS.   It's kinda limited and I see no way to shut off the sound, but there is a place to test all of the hardware and the tests run fine and report that sound is ok.   I also do not see FN keystrokes to adjust volume.

I get system beeps, like POST beep, etc.

but yeah, I don't see the hardware listed either.  I thought it might show after the module was inserted.

Offline maro

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 02:35:34 PM »
@Hangard: Please consider this a bit of a "stab in the dark", but could you maybe try to provide us with the output of cat /proc/interrupts (after using the same boot process you have used so far). Then boot again, but this time please use the boot code 'irqpoll' and attach the 'dmesg' output together again with the '/proc/interrupts' output.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 03:09:19 PM »
Is ISA support even in the kernel?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 03:28:28 PM »
I just checked my BIOS.   It's kinda limited and I see no way to shut off the sound, but there is a place to test all of the hardware and the tests run fine and report that sound is ok.   I also do not see FN keystrokes to adjust volume.

I get system beeps, like POST beep, etc.

Unfortunately thinkwiki appears to be down atm, but did you follow exactly what is mentioned there regarding BIOS boot options?

Edit: nvm, I remembered google's cache...

Ensure that "ThinkPad Simple Boot", AKA "Quick Boot" is DISABLED.

Volume control appears to be on left side, not Fn key, according to Hardware Maintenance Manual.
Not sure, but I doubt that system beep would depend on sound card.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:38:31 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 03:42:50 PM »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 04:39:14 PM »
Is ISA support even in the kernel?

CONFIG_SND_ISA=y
CONFIG_SND_CS4236=m