Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

small change request for editor

(1/2) > >>

florian:
I recently upgraded my EeePC netbook to TC 3.3. Great release, Thanks! I was delighted to see a basic built-in editor as for some reasons I never got intimate with vi. I often use nano but editor is still very useful, for example when I boot with "base norestore" to test something as in this configuration extensions aren't loaded.

I have one small change request for editor. If I invoke editor with a filename that doesn't exist, a popup message with a message that file isn't found gets displayed. Instead if filename doesn't exist I would like the file to be created and then loaded in the editor.

Rationale for the change:
1) this is how most editors works in unix
2) some programs actually rely on this behaviour to integrate editors (if one defines the environment variable EDITOR or VISUAL to 'editor')

Guy:
What about when someone makes a typing mistake? This would create a file they don't want.

If this idea is implemented, what about a message saying "file isn't found, do you want to create this file?" Then have the option to choose yes or no.

gerald_clark:
Vi does not create the file until you save.
If you find yourself unexpectedly editing an empty buffer, quitting will not create the file.

tinypoodle:

--- Quote from: gerald_clark on December 11, 2010, 07:57:38 AM ---Vi does not create the file until you save.

--- End quote ---

As with the majority of editors IME, be it under unix or other platforms.

gerald_clark:
So perhaps the removal of the popup would be sufficient.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version