Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

Intel TX chipset: 64MB RAM cached, best use for RAM >64MB?

(1/3) > >>

hpstr:
Hi,

after playing a bit around with TinyCore on my main rig, I`d like to use it on my good old Fujitsu Lifebook Biblo B110, Intel P1-233 and 96 MB RAM.

However, the Biblo, as many computers of this era, uses the Intel TX chipset, known for a limitation of the L2 cache: only 64MB RAM are cached.
I`m not sure how this problem may affect distributions like TinyCore that run entirely from RAM. TinyCore`s kernel, according to the docs, doesn`t seem to consider a mem parameter.

On classic Linux installations, it was once a common workaround to limit the kernel to 64 MB RAM with boot parameter mem=64M, and to use the rest of the RAM as a swap partition in memory.

Any suggestions or experiences?

Thx, regards,

Hans

tinypoodle:

--- Quote from: hpstr on December 10, 2010, 03:54:01 PM ---TinyCore`s kernel, according to the docs, doesn`t seem to consider a mem parameter.

--- End quote ---

According to which docs exactly?
I searched and couldn't find any relevant kernel config option.

curaga:
AFAIK we take the mem param just fine.

hpstr:

--- Quote from: curaga on December 11, 2010, 01:17:55 AM ---AFAIK we take the mem param just fine.
--- End quote ---

In my initial post, I was referring to the documented TC boot parameters. Indeed the TC kernel accepts the mem parameter.

I tried it out, and could not see any significant change in performance yet.

However I don`t have any applications installed, as I don`t have a wired PCMCIA NIC and could not get wireless networking right yet. Downloading and installing apps by hand, copying them via USB memory from another networked PC, is a bit of a pain, especially the dependencies.

However, after fiddling a bit with the framebuffer (Xvesa causes interesting green tinted graphics on the B110), TC runs basically fine without the mem=64MB parameter.

Maybe when I`m able to the install the desired applications by network, I`ll try both configurations to see if they affect performance.

^thehatsrule^:
See the last line of http://tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#bootcodes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version