Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

Xorg and "Exit to prompt"

(1/4) > >>

gwalther:
I booted with tinycore 3.3 and boot codes... base norestore.
I then download and load  the extensions graphics2.6.33-tinycore and Xorg-7.5.
After the Xorg downlaod and load I can no longer use the exit option...exit to prompt.
Nothing happens when I try to... exit to prompt.
I am able to select  reboot and it works.
Am I missing something?

Lee:
I run into something similar when I boot into the regular system (xvesa) then open a terinal window and load Xorg-7.5.tcz then try to exit to prompt so I can use startx to come back into X using Xorg.  The exit-to-prompt does not work.  However if I Ctrl-ALlt-Backspace it drops me out of X and startx will do the right thing.  I just assumed I was breaking something minor by not exiting to the prompt before loading Xorg-7.5.

I'm using micro core 3.3 w/core elements, wbar and jwm.  Booting from the same usb stick on several different systems.  Anything with a 16:9 monitor needs Xorg to avoid stretching.  Some need graphics-2.6.33.3-tinycore while others do not.

gwalther:
I was doing the same thing you were....boot regular system (Xvesa)...load Xorg and then trying to exit to prompt so I could run Xorg -configure and edit xorg.conf per instruction in ...Info...and then restart..but "exit to prompt" would not work.

Tried same thing on another machine....same result.

Started to think maybe I had a bad download/burn...but if you saw same thing then maybe not.

Did a killall Xvesa to get to prompt...did the Xorg stuff and edit..then startx..it worked but now the Exit icon did not work at all and if I tried ...exittc ...from a terminal I got a segmentation fault...????

curaga:
This has been discussed before; exittc tries to kill the currently-configured X server, which is Xorg after that extension is loaded.

Known bug/feature, patches welcome if it bugs you enough ;)

tinypoodle:
Makes sense, same would happen to me after loading Xvesa.tcz, no Xorg involved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version