WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Xorg and "Exit to prompt"  (Read 8727 times)

Offline gwalther

Xorg and "Exit to prompt"
« on: December 08, 2010, 12:58:20 PM »
I booted with tinycore 3.3 and boot codes... base norestore.
I then download and load  the extensions graphics2.6.33-tinycore and Xorg-7.5.
After the Xorg downlaod and load I can no longer use the exit option...exit to prompt.
Nothing happens when I try to... exit to prompt.
I am able to select  reboot and it works.
Am I missing something?

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
Re: Xorg and "Exit to prompt"
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 12:54:37 PM »
I run into something similar when I boot into the regular system (xvesa) then open a terinal window and load Xorg-7.5.tcz then try to exit to prompt so I can use startx to come back into X using Xorg.  The exit-to-prompt does not work.  However if I Ctrl-ALlt-Backspace it drops me out of X and startx will do the right thing.  I just assumed I was breaking something minor by not exiting to the prompt before loading Xorg-7.5.

I'm using micro core 3.3 w/core elements, wbar and jwm.  Booting from the same usb stick on several different systems.  Anything with a 16:9 monitor needs Xorg to avoid stretching.  Some need graphics-2.6.33.3-tinycore while others do not.
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline gwalther

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 01:56:12 PM »
I was doing the same thing you were....boot regular system (Xvesa)...load Xorg and then trying to exit to prompt so I could run Xorg -configure and edit xorg.conf per instruction in ...Info...and then restart..but "exit to prompt" would not work.

Tried same thing on another machine....same result.

Started to think maybe I had a bad download/burn...but if you saw same thing then maybe not.

Did a killall Xvesa to get to prompt...did the Xorg stuff and edit..then startx..it worked but now the Exit icon did not work at all and if I tried ...exittc ...from a terminal I got a segmentation fault...????

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 02:25:06 PM »
This has been discussed before; exittc tries to kill the currently-configured X server, which is Xorg after that extension is loaded.

Known bug/feature, patches welcome if it bugs you enough ;)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 03:01:06 PM »
Makes sense, same would happen to me after loading Xvesa.tcz, no Xorg involved.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline robc

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
what about changing:
Code: [Select]
 if (action == 3) {
     system("sudo pkill `cat /etc/sysconfig/Xserver` &");
     exit(0);
  } else {

to something like:
 if (action == 3) {
     system("sudo pkill `/bin/ps -o args | /usr/bin/cut -d " " -d 1 | /bin/grep "^X\|^/usr/local/bin/X"` &");
     exit(0);
  } else {

should work for Xvesa, Xorg, X, Xfbdev, Xvnc...

Edit:
Or:
 if (action == 3) {
     system("sudo pkill `/bin/ps -o args | /usr/bin/awk '/(^X)|(^\/usr\/local\/bin\/X)/ {print $1}'` &");
     exit(0);
  } else {
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 04:09:24 PM by robc »
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline maro

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 05:36:44 PM »
Hmmm, whilst the suggestion in reply #5 might be an improvement to the current state I feel a bit uneasy of this criteria to kill all processes with names starting with 'X' or '/usr/local/bin/X' as there are a few "bystanders" that would also get "hit" (e.g. 'Xwrapper', 'Xdialog', 'Xnest', 'Xephyr', and 'Xdmx').

Now granted for the vast majority of cases (when just running a single X server) those clients should anyway not "survive" the termination of the Xserver. But I wonder whether an alternative would be to record the X server PID in a file (via adding for example echo $! | sudo tee /var/run/Xserver.${DISPLAY}.pid as a second line to '/etc/skel/.xsession') in which case that information could then be used to kill one particular X server. As I envisage that a bit more "cleanup" work would be required I'd suggest to create a little script (lets call it e.g. 'termx' or 'exitx') along the lines of:
#/bin/sh

PID_FILE="/var/run/Xserver.${DISPLAY}.pid"

if [ -f $PID_FILE ] ; then
  sudo kill $( cat $PID_FILE )
  sudo rm -f $PID_FILE
else
  /bin/ps -o 'pid,args' \
    | grep -E '^ *[0-9][0-9]* (|[^ ][^ ]*/bin/)X(vesa|org|fbdev|vnx)' \
    | awk '{ print $1 }' | xargs -p 1 | sudo kill
fi

As you can see I've included also a "sledgehammer" branch but with an attempt to narrow it down a bit further. This script could then be called from 'exittc' and would allow for easier adjustments in the furture.

(WARNING: the code snippet was not really tested)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 01:27:21 AM »
Over the night I thought of "sudo fuser -k /tmp/.X11-unix/X0", or maybe something based on "sudo netstat -lxp".

What do you think?

@robc: I agree with maro, there's the bystanders issue. One may have Xvnc or the like running that should not be killed at that point.

@maro: no X server name should be hard-coded there IMO.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:33:31 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 06:38:44 AM »
Hmmm, whilst the suggestion in reply #5 might be an improvement to the current state I feel a bit uneasy of this criteria to kill all processes with names starting with 'X' or '/usr/local/bin/X' as there are a few "bystanders" that would also get "hit" (e.g. 'Xwrapper', 'Xdialog', 'Xnest', 'Xephyr', and 'Xdmx').

There is also a possibility a user may run more than one instance of the same X server.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 06:56:19 AM »
Over the night I thought of "sudo fuser -k /tmp/.X11-unix/X0"

sounds simple - but... "sudo fuser /tmp/.X11-unix/X0" (omitting the '-k') does not render any output on my system, as I have noted with 'fuser' in other cases as well (not TC particular).

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 07:01:04 AM »
The title of this thread is very misleading as this is much to do about a one time event (loading an X server while running an X server).
"exit to prompt" works fine from Xorg or any X server under normal conditions.
This is being posted using Xorg while fully being able to "exit to prompt"  ::)

10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 09:42:10 AM »
I would suggest, if this one time event is such an annoyance, that the extension's startup script be adjusted to check if X is already running. If so, do not overwrite the current X server, Instead, exit.

This would have no impact on normal operations, .i.e, from booting or loading X while not currently running X.

Additionally a link to the startup script could be placed in the user's path together with a note in the .info file for such manual X server initialization. Such would not be much different than other distributions requiring some X server setup before initial run. Such would only be required when an alternate X server is loaded from within an already initialized and running X server.

When the base fully supports normal operations, then the base should be preserved and not cluttered with extension references or requiring needless extra code.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 09:45:16 AM by roberts »

Offline tinypoodle

Exit X after loading alternate X server
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 12:13:21 AM »
Been there many times and it never bothered me much.
If any change would be attempted which would not be 100% guaranteed free from potential side effect under every possible constellation, I'd rather prefer to see some additional button like e.g. Force exit to prompt than to do away with current.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 12:31:42 PM »
I have modified exittc to use the PID of the running X.
This should satisfy both goals of no extra code, no extension references and no mods required to existing X server extensions.

Offline maro

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »
Geee, that was rather foolish of me to suggest to "re-invent the wheel": I'd forgotten to take a look into '/tmp/.X*-lock'. As it turns out this very file already contains the PID of the respective X server. I therefore believe now that there might not be a need to save the information in a convoluted way (as I had suggested in reply #6).

I noticed this 24h ago, but I've been "sitting on this information" as I wanted to test it in a specific way. As I've just noticed that Robert has put out a second version of TC 3.4rc2 which changes '.xsession' to save the PID of the X server via an environment variable. I now believe that using sudo kill $( cat /tmp/.X${DISPLAY:1:1}-lock ) in 'exittc' would achieve the same, without the need of changing '/etc/skel/.xsession'.

NOTE: This was not as well tested as I liked, but might still be worth a consideration.