WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Any derivatives of TC for windows/mac people?  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Ulysses_

Any derivatives of TC for windows/mac people?
« on: December 08, 2010, 06:49:02 AM »
Ubuntu is the most widely used distro for one reason: it successfully brought much of the windows and mac culture to linux so every non-technical person could get proficient very fast.  "Linux for human beings" was the ubuntu selling line.  Easy install, easy use, quality support if you pay for it.

But with time, ubuntu is becoming bloatware many people say.  Because as was said from as far back as 1995,

"software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster."

Are there any derivatives of TC that attempt to bring TC performance to non-technical people?

Should there be such an effort?

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
Re: Any derivatives of TC for windows/mac people?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 10:00:13 AM »
Have you seen SvOlli's "The Full Core" http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7120.0?  I think it already includes some friendly features for Windows-users like NTFS support.

In general, Tiny Core is for experienced users.  A Windows or Mac "power user" could probably get along OK with a fuller (remastered) set of applications, as is done in the Full Core. Along with some help in these forums.  ;)  But building up your own custom installation from Tiny Core base usually requires at least a little Linux/Unix experience.  Other distros cover the "nearly painless transition" need fairly well: Puppy on the low end and Linux Mint on the higher end would be the two I'd recommend to a new user.

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »
Yes, I'm a keen user of Svolli's remaster.  It's not a comprehensive set of linux functionality by default though, by Full Core he does not mean anything as full as ubuntu, let alone as newbie-friendly as ubuntu.

Other distros cover the "nearly painless transition" need fairly well: Puppy on the low end and Linux Mint

Mint gets as slow as ubuntu or even slower on occasions.  Puppy is missing foreign fonts and also missing cleartype, and everything is done by root - security seems highly questionable.

Offline SamK

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:22:07 PM »
Are there any derivatives of TC that attempt to bring TC performance to non-technical people?
See this post:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7698.0
Unsure whether the TC forum rules permit showing a direct address under the "remix" guidelines.  [removed 6]

I've not used it so can't comment about its operation/usefulness.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:49:19 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 05:56:16 AM »
Glad others have seen the light too.  I don't understand why some core developers of TC don't see it yet.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:03:38 AM by Ulysses_ »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 07:30:15 AM »
Glad others have seen the light too.  I don't understand why some core developers of TC don't see it yet.

Consequence?   
 ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 09:43:46 AM »
TC not well known, not enough people to test or fix bugs, not offering the invention to the world but getting off privately on the intellectual challenge so it seems.  Like mensa members looking for places to dump their spare intellectual power, instead of putting it to good use in the service of humanity.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 11:18:58 AM »
It's been discussed quite often (and I'm sure it always will be), but Tiny Core is a tool kit. Think of it as a toolbox containing the kernel, busybox, X-Windows, and a few other files. The extensions are simply other tools you can add to your toolbox.  In any case, you can do just about anything with the tools provided, but you need to be skilled with them in order to use them effectively.

The basic message is that Tiny Core is absolutely minimal, and you build up from there. You get to make the choice about every application you install. For example, dropbear used to be part of the base, but it no longer is. You are free to install openssh instead and never install dropbear if you are so inclined.

I don't understand why some core developers of TC don't see it yet.
It is outside their scope.

Anyone here is free to build a more "full-featured" distribution using TC as a base, and some have. For the most part, the core developers work on the core and extensions, and this forum is for discussion and support of that work. Tiny Core has improved very rapidly as a result of this focus.

Discussion and support of work beyond the core and extensions, like remasters, is outside this scope (except for the provided announcement board). Specific remasters should host their own forum so they can focus on their specific needs, like Debian, Slackware, and RHEL derivatives do.

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 12:19:24 PM »
What is recommended here is not to replace the TC toolkit with yet another distro, but to accompany TC with a demo that shows off:

1. what it can do
2. how fast it does it
3. how easy it is to install and use

Hoping that people will discover the derivatives by chance is not the way to 'sell' the idea to the world.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:29:37 PM by Ulysses_ »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 12:30:33 PM »
Go ahead. Nobody is stopping you from creating the demo system you seem to want so bad.

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 01:32:42 PM »
I don't want it for myself.  For me I want a TC-based host for vmware, which used to work but does not currently btw.

And it's pointless to produce a demo if it is lost in obscurity like cassandra.  The whole point is that the official site should improve TC's marketing and push an official demo in the official TC download page.

Eventually features could be added to make the demo newbie friendly.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 01:44:29 PM by Ulysses_ »

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 01:34:22 PM »
For me I want a TC-based host for vmware, which used to work but does not currently btw.
Let me know what you need and I can help you get there. I use TC almost exclusively on vmware.

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 01:46:17 PM »
I use TC almost exclusively on vmware.

Same here.  But I was talking about vmware on TC, not TC on vmware.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 03:42:55 PM »
And it's pointless to produce a demo if it is lost in obscurity like cassandra.  The whole point is that the official site should improve TC's marketing and push an official demo in the official TC download page.

While I agree a demo has benefits, it's a lot of work. It would be better if one of the users took up that banner.

Same here.  But I was talking about vmware on TC, not TC on vmware.

I wrote up and posted some instructions for VMware Player, but I just checked the thread and see you had new problems. I'll look into that.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:48:16 PM by danielibarnes »

Offline Ulysses_

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 03:53:26 PM »
I am aware of those instructions, got them to work too, as I said in that thread (after a couple of tweaks recommended by yourself).  But now they do not work for TC 3.2 or 3.3.  I've made a note of this in that thread.  Any chance you could see what's going wrong?