WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Somewhat "hidden" kernel modules  (Read 2616 times)

Offline maro

Somewhat "hidden" kernel modules
« on: December 07, 2010, 01:26:12 PM »
I'm not sure whether I should label the following as a bug, so I thought to start this thread here:

I've just stumbled over the fact that in some extensions (e.g. 'lirc.tcz', 'madwifi.tcz', and 'ndiswrapper.tcz') kernel modules are mixed up with their respective management application. I believe one consequence of this would be that 64-bit systems will not be properly supported. I think it's also not good practice as we have now by and large split out kernel modules into stand-alone extensions.

A further consequence of splitting out the kernel modules (and having them in the list of dependencies of the "manangement" extension) could be that on a properly confgured systems only the respective kernel module extensions would be needed on an ongoing basis. The "manangement" extension might be required just for the initial configuration and could be removed (including all it's surplus dependencies) after the setup work is done.

Furthermore I found one extension (i.e. 'wl.tcz') which just contains a single kernel module, but the extension name does not fit with this fact. Again I believe no support for 64-bit systems will be available. I also wonder why an extension for wireless devices of one specific chip maker should not carry that information in the extension name and use a rather generic name instead.

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Somewhat "hidden" kernel modules
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 02:06:16 PM »
Not exactly the same, but IMHO neither unrelated a case like wireless tools having wireless modules as a dep, when wireless tools may be required for use with specific wireless modules not included in the main extension.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Somewhat "hidden" kernel modules
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 07:38:01 PM »
In the case of ndiswrapper and wl, I don't have a 64-bit system to test the kernel modules out. If somebody wants to add the 64-bit version of both extensions or take over the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, that's fine by me.

There's the risk that removing wireless modules as a dep of wireless tools would trip a lot of newcomers up.